Problem Milling To Full Depth

Post questions, share ideas and techniques relating to 3D prototyping and milling
sbarner

Problem Milling To Full Depth

Post by sbarner » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:34 pm

Machine: MDX-50
Software: SRP Player, v3.1

When we put the workpiece directly on a 4 mm wasteboard, instead of in the Rotary Axis Unit, the mill only cuts a little over half-way through, in spite of the fact that the bit is longer than the depth of the workpiece and is setup that way in SRP Player. When I check the Depth setting in the Create Tool Path options, it shows the start height as being 13.50 mm, and the end height as being -11.50 mm. This corresponds with the depth that the mill stops cutting, though it does both the roughing and finishing cuts to this reduced depth. I can't find a setting that I can change that sets the end height to zero. I have the material thickness set to 25 mm and the bit length to 27 mm, so SRP Player should think that it can mill all the way through the part. All the previews in SRP Player show full-depth cutting, as expected. It isn't until I put it on the mill that the problem occurs.

I have the object set to cut from the top only, with no support. Anyone have some advice as to what I might be doing wrong?

Stephen Barner
South Burlington High School, Vermont
DepthOfCut.PNG
PartiallyCutPiece.jpg

sbarner

Solved

Post by sbarner » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:39 pm

As it turns out, SRP Player was not a part of the issue at all. Apparently I was running up against an internal sensor in the mill that keeps the spindle from going below a certain point. I assumed that it would cut all the way to the plate with a standard 1/8” bit, but it seems that is not the case. A 52 mm long bit solved the problem, as did switching to an 18 mm thick waste board from one that was 4 mm thick. I am going to make up a suitable board to build up the platform and then have the students attach thin waste boards to it so that we don’t run into the same problem in the future.