Roland MDX-500 and Autodesk Fusion360

Post questions, share ideas and techniques relating to 3D prototyping and milling
frampo31

Roland MDX-500 and Autodesk Fusion360

Post by frampo31 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:58 am

Hi all,

I'm trying to setup my MDX-500 to work with Autodesk. It seems to work correctly using the MDX-540 postprocessor option to produce RML code, however after each pass of the workpiece it appears to return to the origin, lift and lower the Z axis, then wait for the user to press "Continue" on the machine panel as the system has been paused. I've attached my RML code below (inside ZIP file, could not directly upload TXT file for some reason), if anybody knows what is causing this stop behaviour it would be great!

Many thanks in advance.
Attachments
Example Code.zip
(282.91 KiB) Downloaded 2 times

Patrick Thorn
Gold Member

Re: Roland MDX-500 and Autodesk Fusion360

Post by Patrick Thorn » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:05 am

The symptoms should like the Axis out of Range for Z.
Basically the part is too low or the tool too short for the maximum stroke of the Z axis.
The setting is to Pause, hence it stops with each move.
Just lift your Z datum up higher above the work and retest the file in fresh air.
Patrick Thorn
Premier Consultant - 3D Technology
Roland DG UK Ltd

http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

frampo31

Re: Roland MDX-500 and Autodesk Fusion360

Post by frampo31 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:53 pm

Hi,

Many thanks for your reply, and sorry for not getting in touch again sooner, been away from my desk and machine until now.

I've tried multiple Z-axis positions with two different sized workpieces (the code listed and another model approx 5" wide) but that doesn't appear to have fixed the issue. Are these issues symptomatic of any other potential cause?

Many thanks for your help!