New ZCL-40 Rotary Axis installed - "A-Limit switch not found" Error

Post questions, share ideas and techniques relating to 3D prototyping and milling
bassloverats

New ZCL-40 Rotary Axis installed - "A-Limit switch not found" Error

Post by bassloverats » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:38 am

Hi there,

I just installed a never used ZCL-40 rotary axis unit to my MDX-40 (firmware upgraded to 40A). Upon powering on / initialization of the machine, the rotary unit hums for about 10 seconds and afterwards it stops, and both Modeling + Scanning lights start to blink endlessly. Upon loading VPanel there is an error "The MDX-40A has performed an emergency stop. A-Limit switch not found." I'm unable to get past this issue even after powering everything off, reinserting the cable, etc.

If I unplug the rotary axis, the machine and VPanel load up fine. Seems the ZCL-40 is not able to initialize with the machine properly.

Any help appreciated on how I might go about fixing this issue.

Thank you in advance,

BLR
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-07-24 at 12.37.58 PM.jpg

Patrick Thorn
Gold Member

Re: New ZCL-40 Rotary Axis installed - "A-Limit switch not found" Error

Post by Patrick Thorn » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:11 pm

Hi, You say on power up it hums. I assume it does not rotate at all whilst humming, then the machine times out with the "The MDX-40A has performed an emergency stop. A-Limit switch not found." message.
If this is the case, it could be the motor cannot turn the inside worm gear that drives the gear on the rotary axis.
You have the self help option of power off and remove the covers off the axis unit and have a look.
Or logging a request with your local Roland office. If you are in the UK look up www.rolanddg.co.uk
Patrick Thorn
Premier Consultant - 3D Technology
Roland DG UK Ltd

http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

bassloverats

Re: New ZCL-40 Rotary Axis installed - "A-Limit switch not found" Error

Post by bassloverats » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:44 pm

Hi Patrick, thanks for the reply.

The ZCL-40 does not rotate during the initialization. After the machine times out, the humming from the rotary axis stepper motor stops.

I have opened the unit and inspected the worm gear and it turns fine. It looks like the stepper motor is what does not seem to be working properly as I've decoupled it from the worm gear and it fails to turn at all during the initialization but does show resistance when I try to manually turn it when it's humming. Are there any known compatibility issues with the MDX-40A (1.7 firmware) and ZCL-40? How likely is it that the stepper motor is defective (it's literally been sitting new & untouched for the last decade)?

Do you know of any Roland dealers in the USA that still support these units? I've reached out to Roland USA but they have simply said it's no longer supported and referred me to their "Product End of Life Policy". Happy to pay an expert to troubleshoot this if they are around.

Thank again for your time,

BLR