How to remove top surface from cutting when using Modela Player 4 on MDX 40

Post questions, share ideas and techniques relating to 3D prototyping and milling
DTTechnician

How to remove top surface from cutting when using Modela Player 4 on MDX 40

Post by DTTechnician » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:10 pm

We have a student that has created a amplifier, that we would like to mill on the MDX 40. We have done this previously but on a smaller scale.

He has created the 3D document in Sketchup! and we have exported as an STL file. I have advised him that I think it is too large, but he has designed it to fit into a table, so it really needs to be this size. He only actually needs the channels cutting, but it includes the top surface, and selecting a partial cut, does not remove all of the top surface from cutting.

Is there a way to remove the whole of the top surface from cutting? So that it just cuts the channels?

Kai Perry

Re: How to remove top surface from cutting when using Modela Player 4 on MDX 40

Post by Kai Perry » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:09 pm

It is probably easier to use Dr. Engrave to mill the surface away as the fill function is easier to use.
Kai Perry
Application Engineer
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

Patrick Thorn
Gold Member

Re: How to remove top surface from cutting when using Modela Player 4 on MDX 40

Post by Patrick Thorn » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:25 pm

Hi. I think you mean you do not want to cut the top surface, just the features below the top. In this case you can set the start height of the cutting process to be a small amount below the top surface. Modela Player and SRP Player cut between the top and bottom values and ingnore the rest of the model.
If you want surfacing then there is a Surfacing option in both Modela Player and SRP Player.
A good Modela tutorial can be found here on FabAcademy.
Hope this helps.
Patrick Thorn
Premier Consultant - 3D Technology
Roland DG UK Ltd

http://www.rolanddg.co.uk