Engraving Granite - surface tolerance - tilted Z axis?

Post questions, share ideas and techniques relating to 3D prototyping and milling
paolo8453
Bronze Member

Engraving Granite - surface tolerance - tilted Z axis?

Post by paolo8453 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:40 pm

This is aimed at you clever Roland industry types :D

I can engrave granite no problem with the TS-400 using a PCD bit. Actually - normal carbide bits work quite well too! I'm actually trying to 'photo v carve' an image.

The issue though is that the stone is not 100% flat. If I'm only engraving 0.1mm and the surface is out by 1mm then there's going to be some big problems. There's not much I can do about it as there's no way to map the surface and I'm not going to resurface the entire work surface and have it repolished.

So - basically I can't do it. This brings me to you industry forum users :D

There are a few old machines - not Roland - that have a tilted Z axis. I can't see any reason for this other than it's easier and cheaper to produce the machines as there's no Z screw mechanism. I also can't see any reason for this to change the surface tolerance issue. BUT - after reading the manual for one of them they seem to reckon that the surface tolerance isn't an issue - as long as it's in the 1mm ballpark it's fine.

The results from these machines look very impressive indeed. They are super basic agricultural machines and all work on the same principal - as you can see in the pic. That one doesn't seem to be around anymore - Galeks G10 - but there's still videos of it on youtube.
router 2.jpg
Roland must have looked at this before - do any insiders have any insight into why this system just seems to work for engraving stone?
Hardware: TS-400 which seems to be the same as an EGX-400/600...

Patrick Thorn
Gold Member

Re: Engraving Granite - surface tolerance - tilted Z axis?

Post by Patrick Thorn » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:13 pm

Hi, for uneven surface engraving the MDX-40/TS400 machines have a fixed Z spindle, i.e. it goes to the depth you set and moves parallel to X,Y.
On our EGX machines we have Nosecones with a floating Z, so the nosecone follows the material surface and the tool projects through the nosecone the depth you want. I heard that a couple of users have made a spring loaded nosecone to do this on fixed Z spindles. It was a modified Light Touch adaptor, I think.
Patrick Thorn
Premier Consultant - 3D Technology
Roland DG UK Ltd

http://www.rolanddg.co.uk