MDX-540A Spindle Overload

Post questions, share ideas and techniques relating to 3D prototyping and milling
shankmaster

MDX-540A Spindle Overload

Post by shankmaster » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:30 pm

Good afternoon, folks!

This morning I decided to do some maintenance work on our MDX-540A. I started by applying lithium 2 grease to the ball screws on the X, Y and Z axis. Finally, I used a grease gun and pumped in to the 2 nipples on the spindle. Perhaps I pumped too much because I have grease seeping out of the top and bottom of the spindle. Regardless, I am getting a spindle overload just spinning a tool once I get to about 1000 RPM. Has anyone had this same problem? Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Paul Lantz
Last edited by shankmaster on Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Patrick Thorn
Gold Member

Re: MDX-540A Sindle Overload

Post by Patrick Thorn » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:27 pm

Hello Paul
Thanks for coming on our forum which is in the UK.
Lubrication the MDX540 is a delicate business, hence the grease gun made by THK is a dinky little unit, about 3" long in the body and each shot is a minute amount. When lubrication the slides, our engineers do this on a RolandCare visit they apply about half a shot to each slideway nipple, then on the ATC spindle 1/2 to 1 shot on the top nipple and 2 to 3 shots MX to the bottom one. Frequency is at lease 1,000 spindle hours, as shown in the VPanel. If you pack it full of grease then you will get spindle overload. Try removing the grease nipples, carefully, they may be under pressure and fly out. Turning the spindle by hand some grease may come out until you can run the spindle at the lowest rpm without spindle overload. Let the grease seep out and then gradually increase the rpm a little at a time. Hopefully it will run OK and you can put the nipples back in.
I would really suggest you contact our USA office http://www.rolanddg.com to get more local help.
Roland DG Corporation USA
15271 Barranca Parkway
Irvine
California CA92618
Phone: 001 949 727 2100
Attachments
Picture 1.png
Patrick Thorn
Premier Consultant - 3D Technology
Roland DG UK Ltd

http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

Andrew Dudley
Gold Member

Re: MDX-540A Spindle Overload

Post by Andrew Dudley » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:31 pm

Hi Paul,
How have you got on after following Patrick's advise?
Andrew Dudley
Business Manager - 3D & Dental
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
Web: www.rolanddg.co.uk

shankmaster

Post by shankmaster » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:12 pm

We eventually decided to purchase new bearings and used a PTFE grease named Magnalube-G. The machine is now working good again. Thanks for your help.

Patrick Thorn
Gold Member

Post by Patrick Thorn » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:17 pm

Good Job Paul, Glad its all working OK now.
Patrick Thorn
Premier Consultant - 3D Technology
Roland DG UK Ltd

http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

dneibert

Post by dneibert » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:28 pm

shankmaster wrote:We eventually decided to purchase new bearings and used a PTFE grease named Magnalube-G. The machine is now working good again. Thanks for your help.
Where and how much did you lube? Just the bearings or other surfaces inside the spindle? I've rebuilt my spindle a couple times and I never know how much to lube in there. Unfortunately, Roland USA support is very weak and I actually know more about the spindle than they do (all they know really is the unit as a whole and not anything about it's parts). Thanks for any insight!

mrtn
Gold Member

Post by mrtn » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:48 pm

dneibert, is yours with an auto changer or regular?
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

dneibert

Post by dneibert » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:16 am

mrtn wrote:dneibert, is yours with an auto changer or regular?
ATC