Newbie with MDX-40a and Rotary Axis Unit ZCL-40a problem

Post questions, share ideas and techniques relating to 3D prototyping and milling
robgor

Newbie with MDX-40a and Rotary Axis Unit ZCL-40a problem

Post by robgor » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:27 pm

Hi Guys,

Iam having problems with the rotary axis unit on my Roland MDX-40a. I have gone through the setup process such as installing the detection bar and pin and getting the machine to detect these which worked fine. Also gone through the steps and set all the axis which worked. The problem Iam having is the tool is colliding with the workpiece during the initialization ff the milling process, actually goes straight into the material and gets stuck. Now going by the instructions the maximum amount of tool extension allowed is 43mm, which it is under. Also the instructions say you have limitations due to workpiece size. Now I dont know how to workout how much tool extension I should have. The workpiece is a cylinder that is 50mm in diameter. Any ideas? Pulling my hair out trying to work this thing out.

Thanks Guys

Robert

mrtn
Gold Member

Re: Newbie with MDX-40a and Rotary Axis Unit ZCL-40a proble

Post by mrtn » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:01 pm

Did you measure the tool and set the Y origin in the center of rotation?
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

robgor

Post by robgor » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:27 pm

I did set the y origin and used the detection sensor to set the z origin, cant really lift the tool up more, as for the total length of the tool from memory its 70mm. Isnt using the detection sensor suppose to set the height? Or do you have to set it manually i.e tool length - workpiece height = tool extension needed?

mrtn
Gold Member

Post by mrtn » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:15 pm

What you do: calibrate the rotary axis with the supplied cylinder and special tool. You do not use a tool height sensor to check the material surface, you use the one attached to the table to measure the tool length. Now, you use virtual panel to set Y-origin to center of rotation, this means, the measured center of the cylinder. Now, when you enter the material block or cylinder size, it knows the surface height by calculation.
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

robgor

Post by robgor » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:42 am

I have used the supplied cylinder and tool to calibrate the rotary axis. I did use the sensor on the table to check the tool length. I have also used the virtual panel to set the y origin to the centre of rotation.
Now I noticed in the manual it said maximum amount of tool extension is 43mm. It also says limitations due to workpiece size, the mount of extension is <66 - radiums of maximum workpiece rotation range. In my case Iam using a cylinder which is 50mm so going by this the amount of tool extension allowed should be 16mm max. I had placed the tool in and getting around 14mm of extension yet its still colliding with the workpiece.

mrtn
Gold Member

Post by mrtn » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:03 am

Which software are you using?
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

robgor

Post by robgor » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:21 am

Using SRP Player.

Andrew Dudley
Gold Member

Post by Andrew Dudley » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:28 pm

From What I can see you should have a maximum of 21.5mm tool extention available to you (half the 43mm) from the bottom of the collet when using a 50mm diameter block of material.
Can you confirm that you are setting the machine up correctly in SRP Player in the preferences section. You need to select the MDX-40A and the ZLC-40A options.
Also make sure your SRP Player version is the latest version from our website and the MDX-40A driver is the latest one too.
Are you using the ZC-23 collets or a different system? As that may have an effect if your collets are longer than the standard ones.

EDIT - A solution would be to load your workpiece and tool, then raise it to maximum and see if your tool will clear the workpeice. Move it close to the workpiece manually with the V-panel, then adjust it as necessary if it is going to hit the material.
Andrew Dudley
Business Manager - 3D & Dental
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
Web: www.rolanddg.co.uk

robgor

Post by robgor » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:35 am

thanks guys problem solved

mrtn
Gold Member

Post by mrtn » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:14 am