SRP player does not take Flute Lenght into account

Post questions, share ideas and techniques relating to 3D prototyping and milling
petermdx540

SRP player does not take Flute Lenght into account

Post by petermdx540 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:27 pm

Hi Guys,

We have just purchased a MDX-540 at our office - and I have been given the task of figuring out how to run it.
So far so good - it's a lovely machine and a lovely job for me to Work with - I have done alot of nice stuff with the machine already, and like operating it.

But... One thing boggles me: SRP player doesn't seem to use Flute Length for anything. If I mount a straight 4 end mill with a shank diameter of 6 and a flute length of 12 mm, then SRP player will still attempt to do a 20 mm Deep 5 mm groove, even though this exceeds the limitations of the Tool geometry.
This Means that I have to put quite alot of effort into thinking everything through before I start a job, even though it should be a quite simple task for SRP player to simply not exceed the limitations of the given flute length.

Do you agree with me? Or am I simply missing some setting option in SRP player preferences?

Thanks for your time
- Peter Schmidt, Denmark

Andrew Dudley
Gold Member

Re: SRP player does not take Flute Lenght into account

Post by Andrew Dudley » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:34 am

Hi Peter,

No unfortunatly SRP player does not have the functionality when calculating this. We usually suggest only using straight end mills and have a set of 1-10mm collets for this.
If you are just roughing out a job, SRP player does have the margin function where you can angle the boarder to be able to use tools with this geometry.
Andrew Dudley
Business Manager - 3D & Dental
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
Web: www.rolanddg.co.uk