High Temperature resitant epoxy modelling board

Post questions, share ideas and techniques relating to 3D prototyping and milling
GeoffT

High Temperature resitant epoxy modelling board

Post by GeoffT » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:49 pm

After a period of not functioning I'm back up and running with my MDX 15 purchased back around 2001 from Patrick Thorn! Thorough cleaning of the machine and updating software and drivers seems to have done the trick.

I cast pewter and use the Roland for making masters of jewellery type objects. I machine wax, make low temperature vulcanised silicon rubber moulds for centrifugal casting. Cast in pewter, refine the finish and detail by hand then re-mould in organic vulcanised rubber for production. Items are usually less than 3mm thick and more recently I have been making some quite large but still quite thin items which have had a poor record of survival in the initial low temperature mould making stage. I can cure the silicon at 90C but the process involves quite a bit of pressure hence the failures with wax. Note RTV silicon might seem like an option but it doesn't work that well for the process.

In frustration with one particularly important design's continual failure I made a block of epoxy putty (milliput) this machines nicely and has the advantage of being able to go straight to organic vulcanised rubber which cures at around 150C. In addition to being cheaper the organic rubber produces much better castings. The only downside is the putty is quite expensive and has to be mixed and cured before use. I see plenty of epoxy modelling board out there, not all are sufficiently temperature resistant but the main issue seem to be quite large thick blocks. Does anyone know of a source for this material in sizes more like those available for wax?
Geoff Treseder
Carn Metals

Patrick Thorn
Gold Member

Re: High Temperature resitant epoxy modelling board

Post by Patrick Thorn » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:30 pm

Hi Geoff

Good to hear its all working

Alchemie can be very helpful with the modelboard applications and their properties, as can other suppliers.

Have a look here:-
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=516
Patrick Thorn
Premier Consultant - 3D Technology
Roland DG UK Ltd

http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

GeoffT

Re: High Temperature resitant epoxy modelling board

Post by GeoffT » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:59 pm

Thanks Patrick, I've sent them an enquiry.
Geoff Treseder
Carn Metals