MDX 540 spindle sensor problems

Post questions, share ideas and techniques relating to 3D prototyping and milling
gerald nolan

MDX 540 spindle sensor problems

Post by gerald nolan » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:16 pm

Good morning everyone,
I'm new on this forum so just thought I'd share info about a recent problem we had with our MDX 540 at National College of Art and Design in Dublin.
In the middle of a job ( when changing tools in the automatic tool changer ) the machine "forgot " it had a tool held and crashed into another tool in the magazine. Seemed to be a problem with the proximity sensors at the top of the spindle block, but visually there seemed to be no fault. The LEDs were lighting up. Tools could be loaded and ejected manually but if the machine was initialised it would not detect a tool held. If told to pick up a tool it would lower the spindle to the magazine and then switch to an emergency stop . On restarting , the tool would not be detected in the spindle and it would attempt to pull straight up, damaging the clips in the magazine.
Was completely baffled by this, suspecting a software/electronics fault, and called out our local Roland dealers ( Neopost). I under stand that they deal primarily with printing machinery but they discovered that the shaft at the top of the spindle had loosened/moved slightly. This apparently caused the sensors not to detect the tool held. On tightening up the shaft the tools are now detected in the spindle.
Following on from this, the problem now is that I can't export some cutting files from Mayka. If I attempt to export(save) a toolpath from Mayka an error message appears "this tool number is not authorised". This happens with tool numbers 2,3 and 4 but tool no 1 will work ( export as normal).
When I click OK on this error message, another appears saying "the postprocessor has detected an error when saving the cutting file".
I can't see how to "authorise" a tool number.
This has happened since installing a new computer ( windows 8) on the MDX 540.
Can anyone shed any light?
Gerald Nolan,

mrtn
Gold Member

Re: MDX 540 spindle sensor problems

Post by mrtn » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:35 pm

I have had problems with upgrading MDX-540 to Windows 8 64-bit installations before, make sure you have the machine firmware updated to the latest version and the latest driver from Roland webpage.
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

Patrick Thorn
Gold Member

Post by Patrick Thorn » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:46 pm

Hi Gerald
As we were covering this with emails, I did not see this entry on the forum.
As we said the Sensors were not recording the position, so as it was loose and been tightened all is working. Great News!
In Mayka you need to use the post processor Roland MDX540 ATC X.......... In the non ATC post Roland MDX540 X.......... you can only have one tool, hence you get the message.
When updating PC's please note to copy the post processors you use on the old system to the new PC in case they have been modified.
Patrick Thorn
Premier Consultant - 3D Technology
Roland DG UK Ltd

http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

gerald nolan

Post by gerald nolan » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:15 pm

Thanks Patrick,
I shouldn't have asked another question at the end of the post. It probably wouldn't be picked up too quickly.
Anyway, the chaps at Roland said they couldn't help because Mayka is not their product, it's made by Picasoft. I emailed Picasoft ,described the problem and they sent 2 postprocessor files ( ATC ) to me. I replaced the files in the Post folder in Program files/ Picasoft/Mayka 7 and this seems to have solved the problem.
I have to say Picasofts response was prompt and spot-on. This little glitch has been a bit of a headache for the last few days.
I hope this can be of help to anybody else having problems with installing an older version of Mayka on a new system.
Gerald Nolan

Ryan Anderson

Post by Ryan Anderson » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:40 pm

Thanks for letting us know the solution Gerald. Will definitely remember this one if it comes up again.
Ryan Anderson
RolandCare Engineer
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
My LinkedIn Profile