Testing with the ARM-10 3D Printer

Post questions, share ideas and techniques relating to 3D prototyping and milling
Andrew Dudley
Gold Member

Testing with the ARM-10 3D Printer

Post by Andrew Dudley » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:50 pm

Good afternoon everyone,

We have been busy this look looking at different resins for our ARM-10 3D Printer.

Here are some results from a castable blend, one of our customers is currently using this for making jewellery. He is creating the patterns on the ARM-10 and then casting using a phosphorus bonded plaster that is slightly harder than the usual plaster used in Jewellery.
IMG_1311.JPG
IMG_1308.JPG
The initial results look good. Hopefully we can bring you more information soon.
Andrew Dudley
Business Manager - 3D & Dental
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
Web: www.rolanddg.co.uk

mrtn
Gold Member

Re: Testing with the ARM-10 3D Printer

Post by mrtn » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:56 pm

Awesome. Jewellery is the main application for machines of this build volume. I am keeping a very close eye on the competition as well.
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

kcenan

Post by kcenan » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:22 pm

Hi everyone, i am from Turkey. I have a arm10 3d printer. Which resin did u use for these jewellery? I need this castable type resin. Thank u very much.

Peter Kettle
Bronze Member

Post by Peter Kettle » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:48 pm

Hi kcenan
The castable resin was from http://www.funtodo.net. We found parts printed well, and have heard from some jewellery customers that it casts well. You may need to change your investment to a harder phosphate bonded investment, similar to what is used for dental casting.
Peter Kettle
Business Development Manager
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

kcenan

Post by kcenan » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:01 pm

Hi Peter ,
Thank u for answer. I am a dentist :) . My last question about the resin exposure time. Normally i use standard resin and 0.15 mm for 15 seconds. For casting resin how long should ? Thank u very much.

Julian 5714

Post by Julian 5714 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:09 pm

Hi, I've been using the fun to do castable resin for more than a year now and I've just opened my 5th litre bottle.
I have tried many variations but find the setting for the standard Roland clear resin to be o.k.

It must be cast using phosphate bonded investment to resist the expansion of the resin when first heated.

I set my kiln to 850 centigrade and put the flask straight in 20 to 30 minutes after mixing the investment.
For flasks up to 75mm dia X 75mm long I burnout for 90minutes then drop to casting temperature.

I hope that helps