3D engrave

Post questions, share ideas and techniques relating to 3D prototyping and milling
Tommy1

3D engrave

Post by Tommy1 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:33 pm

Note sure where to put this one as it's not really engraving but here goes...

I want to mill some 3D text onto an irregular wooden surface. The wood is not flat, nor should it be, and so will not suit a surfacing operation. The final look should be rustic rather than precision engineered...

I have tried time and time again to set up 3D engrave so that it can mill the 3D text without surfacing the entire selection. So far I have made a square relief the rough size and shape of the wood and then set the text into that. I have then had to set the tool 1 mm above the workpiece and make the relief 1mm deeper, the surfacing then happened but doesn't effect the part.

My question is, is there any way to turn this operation off? The tool is happy to cut through this wood even at double the depth I have specified so there are no concerns of it hitting a high spot. The surfacing takes a while and can be quite annoying for set up as you can't see if the part is cutting correctly for about 45 mins...

Any help appreciated

Tommy

Ryan Anderson

Re: 3D engrave

Post by Ryan Anderson » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:51 am

I don't believe this is an option in 3D engrave. Have you looked at VCarve by Vectric? There is a trial version available on their website here.
Ryan Anderson
RolandCare Engineer
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
My LinkedIn Profile

Tommy1

Post by Tommy1 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:39 pm

Thanks Ryan, Ill have a look... It seems to me that this would be pretty useful, I'm trying to get my head around the best and quickest way of getting the parts, its a learning process, i just thought i may have missed something.

Cheers

Andrew Dudley
Gold Member

Post by Andrew Dudley » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:04 am

Hi Tommy,

If you can take a picture of what you are trying to do then we could probably better help. Seems like you found a work arround though.
Andrew Dudley
Business Manager - 3D & Dental
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
Web: www.rolanddg.co.uk