2nd Hand Roland MDX-15

Post questions, share ideas and techniques relating to 3D prototyping and milling
mikenz

2nd Hand Roland MDX-15

Post by mikenz » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:10 pm

Hi there

I have recently bought the iModela milling machine and I enjoy using it and the results are pretty good. However I want something a little faster and stronger. A MDX-15 came up on a local auction website (NZ) for $650NZ. I think this is a bargain - however the machine has been in storage, is untested, is missing an ac adapter, serial cable, spindle motor and spindle but looks tidy other than that. I need to buy these things to get it up and running. Would anyone be able to show me links to a USB->Serial cable that *actually* works with this machine? Also the specs for the ac adapter would be great as I have a few spares which may work however I am reluctant to try any without knowing the specs first.

I intend on getting a genuine spindle motor and spindle - now I need to choose 1/4", 1/8" or 3mm. I would like to use longreach micro ballnose cutters and endmills down as small as 0.3mm in diameter. Could anyone recommend which collet size is best to find the most cost effective long reach tools? What suppliers are best?

Many thanks in advance

Mike

JamesNZ

Re: 2nd Hand Roland MDX-15

Post by JamesNZ » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:21 am

Hi Mike, I have an MDX-15 and recommend you contact Dave Hullah (the NZ roland rep) he should be able to set you up with all the bits you need. The USB to Serial that came with my machine (bought new) worked fine (with a T60 thinkpad, I tried it with a Dell laptop and it did not want to play nicely).

I think mine came with a 4mm spindle and thats the size of the tools (including long reach) he supplies, but in practical terms I find myself using the 1/8" collet 90% of the time.

mikenz

Post by mikenz » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:57 pm

Hi JamesNZ

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately Dave Hulluh is no longer the Roland NZ rep - this is now handled by Aarque Graphics in Henderson. Queries such as this one require a response from Australia so it can take some time to get the right information I need.

So far I have found a power supply - I picked one up at Jaycar for about $60. I have also played with a DB9 to Parallel cable and a USB to Parallel 25F cable but had no success. I see in the material I can find online that the MDX-15 was supplied with a USB to Serial cable (USB>DB9). I am slightly confused at the MDX-15 has a 25F parallel port on the back of the machine, so would this mean I would have to get a USB to Serial cable then attach that to a Serial to Parallel cable? I'm finding it hard to find the Serial to Parallel cable (RS-232C). I have tried about almost everything to get this to go without the factory cables - that is, using device manager to manually overwrite the drivers for usb to parallel connection.

Another thing I would like to know is, how is the MDX-15 controlled manually? I have played with the MDX-40 and I own an iModela, both of which have control software for manual movement of the axes. Is there something similar used for the MDX-15?

Any knowledge anyone has in this area to share would be greatly appreciated as I have big plans for this machine.

Many thanks in advance
MikeNZ (Auckland)

mikenz

Post by mikenz » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:40 am

Ok I think I just answered my own questions.

I made my own DB9>DB25 cable. I used the diagram found here: http://www.rolanddg.ru/en-dk/cutting-plotters-faq and it works great so far. I have only tested it using the scanning head with Dr Picza and it still seems to scan well.

I found how to manually move the axes from within Modela Player 4.