Another obscure problem with our MDX-40A

Post questions, share ideas and techniques relating to 3D prototyping and milling
ilmastodontti

Another obscure problem with our MDX-40A

Post by ilmastodontti » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:17 pm

Hi!

I'm wrestling with a problematic individual of a mill with our MDX-40A. It's the same mill than in this thread, viewtopic.php?f=33&t=8701, but since the problem seems unrelated, I opened a new thread.

This time the problem is with Modela Player 4 v2.12 crashing every time when starting the cutting of anything more complex than a basic solid. Here's some background to the situation.

I work at a goldsmiths where we use the MDX-40A (and a MDX-40 that has no problems whatsoever. Old Faithful.) to mill wax models for casting jewelry. The other goldsmiths are not that computer literate, so they used to run the MDX-40A with Windows Vista and Modela 4 v1.xx and the mill firmware was never upgraded. They also calibrated the Z-axis with a piece of paper as I mentioned in my previous thread. While trying to diagnose the problem with the Z-axis, I started with updating the firmware, the drivers, VPanel and Modela Player 4. That never helped for the Z-axis (as the problem was the faulty cord), but it presented a new problem. Modela Player 4 v2.12 crashed to the desktop every time we tried to cut anything more complex than a basic ring shank. We surmised that it must be because Modela Player 4 v2.12 wasn't supported in Windows Vista. We thought this would be a good time to upgrade the ancient computer, since we're planning to render the jewels as well. So we got a brand new rendering machine. While waiting for the new computer to arrive, we used a laptop with the older Modela Player to operate the mill and it worked with no complaints (except for the z-axis). Finally the computer arrived. The new machine had a preinstalled Windows 8 64bit OEM in it and I started installing everything. I got the "2.5D Driver for Windows 8 (64-bit) ver 1.20" drivers for MDX-40A installed with no problems. I installed VPanel from the CD-ROM supplied with the hardware, I believe the version was 1.0, but it didn't recognize the mill until I updated it to VPanel MDX40A v1.10 (possibly because the Firmware version 1.50 - update?). After that VPanel worked fine, I could calibrate the machine again (with the piece of paper) and do all necessary adjustments.

Next I installed Modela Player 4 from the CD-ROM supplied with the older MDX-40, I believe the version was 1.xx, since the machine selection drop down menu didn't have MDX-40A in it, so I needed to update the Modela Player as well. After updating the Modela Player to v2.12 the machine selection lets me select MDX-40A as the machine and all seems well. I even did a test milling with a .stl exported out of Rhino. It was just a cube, but the machine worked like a charm. So back to work. I modeled a pendant (that was a bit more complex than a cube) in Rhino, exported it as .stl and opened it with Modela Player and made the tool paths for the pendant and after hitting cut... "Modela Player 4 has stopped working". Tried it couple of times and always the same result. Windows Vista with MPlayer v2.12, same result.

I'm turning to your help, since work is piling up with only Old Faithful operational. Our local Authorized Service Technician promised to look into it, but since we're still waiting for the replacement cable, I'm not convinced he feels the same sense of urgency as we do. I've ran out of ideas to test, though I have some ideas where the problem might lie. Is it a matter of 32bit/64bit architecture incompatibility with drivers, Modela Player or something. Is there something wrong with the compatibility of the 1.10 firmware update and the Modela Player v2.12? Is it problem related to the faulty cable? Have we somehow angered the deities of 3D Prototyping & Milling?

Has anyone ever experience anything similar? Any insight to fix it with? Does anyone know a place where to download a rollback version of the Modela Player? One that recognizes MDX-40A, but isn't... well, not functional.

Sorry for the long post, but I felt the need to explain the background since the problem is so convoluted. I hope we can fix it, since the others at the goldsmiths are looking at me with a certain scorn, since I was the one who started the thing with the updates.

With regards

Samu Salmenkangas

Andrew Dudley
Gold Member

Re: Another obscure problem with our MDX-40A

Post by Andrew Dudley » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:07 pm

Hi Samu,

Our windows compatability says that Win8 is fully supported.

We have the version 2.13 of MP4 now, so maybe that will help.

The MDX-40A comes bundled with the SRP Player software, do you still have that CD? Does that one work with these files?

Andy
Andrew Dudley
Business Manager - 3D & Dental
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
Web: www.rolanddg.co.uk

Andrew Dudley
Gold Member

Re: Another obscure problem with our MDX-40A

Post by Andrew Dudley » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:08 pm

If you want to try older versions of the firmware, you will need to contact our tech support team who should have some of the older versions, but not necessarily all of them.
Andrew Dudley
Business Manager - 3D & Dental
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
Web: www.rolanddg.co.uk