Buying a used MDX-15/20 or MDX-40. Windows 8 compatibility?

Post questions, share ideas and techniques relating to 3D prototyping and milling
drew_uk

Buying a used MDX-15/20 or MDX-40. Windows 8 compatibility?

Post by drew_uk » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:42 pm

Hi everyone,

I am looking at buying a used desktop cnc milling machine for prototyping out of plastics. Potentially an MDX-15/20 or MDX-40.

I would like to run the machine from my windows 8 (64bit) laptop, this Roland support document seems to suggest that both machines will work: http://support.rolanddga.com/docs/Docum ... rtInfo.pdf

Has anyone had success with either the MDX-15/20 or MDX-40 on windows 8? I would also like to connect via USB, but I have read about issues with connecting the MDX-15/20 using a Serial to USB cable. I am trying to avoid having to dig my old XP machine out of the cupboard (which has a serial port), as it needs a fresh install of XP to make it usable again.

I have contacted Roland and Techsoft to see if they have any used/returned/cosmetically damaged machines that I can buy for my £750 to £1500 price range, just waiting for them to get back to me. In the meantime I thought I would post here in case anyone is planning on selling one? (sorry if this isn't forum etiquette).

Thanks in advance for any help!

Kai Perry

Re: Buying a used MDX-15/20 or MDX-40. Windows 8 compatibili

Post by Kai Perry » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:28 am

You can get a ME-US3 cable from Techsoft that would run the MDX-15/20 from Win 8, as the MDX-40 is USB based it will work fine.
Kai Perry
Application Engineer
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

drew_uk

Re: Buying a used MDX-15/20 or MDX-40. Windows 8 compatibili

Post by drew_uk » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:48 pm

Thanks for getting back to me.

I am now looking to buy a used Roland/Techsoft MDX-40 or 40A. If Roland have any used / ex display models I would be interested in buying.

Thanks.