Hello from Cheshire, UK

Come in and introduce yourself
Allan S.

Hello from Cheshire, UK

Post by Allan S. » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:09 pm

Hi all, I'm pleased to be here.
I've acquired an excellent CNC machine, a vintage Roland TS400 machine, complete with enclosure so I'm hoping to learn everything there is to learn about it. The other evening I discovered this forum so I've come on board.
It seems a bit cheeky of me to immediately start asking you all for advice so I'll hold off on that one.
I've seen some interesting posts already and I'm looking forward to being able to post interesting posts myself sometime.

Joe Wigzell
Gold Member

Re: Hello from Cheshire, UK

Post by Joe Wigzell » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:07 am

Hiya Allan!
Joe Wigzell
Academy and Creative Centre Manager
Roland DG UK Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

Allan S.

Post by Allan S. » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:18 pm

Hi Joe, and all,
I've got the Roland TS-400 and I'm enjoying finding out its capabilities. I've just come across the Roland Engrave Studio software, which seems a useful application to me.
The problem is that it only seems to recognise the Roland EGX-350 and Roland EGX-360 engraving machines.
I'd really like to get it to work on my Roland TS-400 but don't know how to set it up, if it is at all possible.
Any guidance at all will be very welcome.
Basically, I want to engrave text and images, motifs etc in such a way that the cutter constantly moves in the Z-axis as well as the X and Y axes. I've seen commercial software such as Vectric, that can allow me to do this, but to be honest I cannot really afford the cost of such software because I'm only using the machine as a hobby. If I was a business person I'm sure that Vectric would be a cost-effective solution but sadly, financially it is beyond my reach.
If anybody can suggest alternative software that helps here, I would be interested and grateful.
Regards,
Allan. S.

Kai Perry

Post by Kai Perry » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:03 am

EngraveStudio is dedicated to the 350 and 360, if you like the look of the software, have a look at the Vectric website and look at VCarve Pro, EngraveStudio is an OEM of an older version.
Kai Perry
Application Engineer
Roland DG (UK) Ltd

Allan S.

Post by Allan S. » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:18 pm

Thanks for that Kai. It's unfortunate that EngraveStudio cannot be made to work on the TA-400. Regarding Vectric's VCarve Pro,at £540 I cannot possibly justify the purchase because I'm simply a hobbyist tinkerer, having retired from work back in 2009. I'd really like to use my TS-400 to produce 2.5D work, but on a very restricting budget. Any ideas?

Kai Perry

Post by Kai Perry » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:57 am

You could look at EngraveLab from cadlink, I'm unsure of the price but you may be able to get an older version for cheaper.

I take it you have all of the free software that comes with the machine, like Dr. Engrave and modela.
Kai Perry
Application Engineer
Roland DG (UK) Ltd