Afternoon all

Come in and introduce yourself
waynetbun

Afternoon all

Post by waynetbun » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:02 pm

Hi peeps
New to Roland cutter, but having just bought a second hand one I am looking forward to seeing what I can get up to.

Joe Wigzell
Gold Member

Re: Afternoon all

Post by Joe Wigzell » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:28 am

Heya!
What device have you got? What are you looking to produce/do with it?
Joe Wigzell
Academy and Creative Centre Manager
Roland DG UK Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

waynetbun

Post by waynetbun » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:50 pm

I have the Roland GS24 cutter.
Aiming on producing stickers for a group I’m involved with, with scope to go bigger in time as this is just a side project from my day to day life.

Joe Wigzell
Gold Member

Post by Joe Wigzell » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:57 pm

Sounds good!
Joe Wigzell
Roland DG UK Ltd

LaserLady

Post by LaserLady » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:47 pm

Hey Joe!

New Lef 2-200 owner here! Printer delivered the day before COVID lockdowns in Australia - have had the basic one on one training needed but due to social distancing that had to be limited and am unable to attend any in person training academy classes.

Probably asking in the wrong section - but Joe, looking for answer from you directly. :D :

The question - under what circumstances do you adjust the UV lumination settings. Do you have tips and guides on when you "would adjust" and for what substrates you may need the adjust UV lumination settings for. Seeing that it is adjustable and all within Versa Works - it must be a function that you can use?

Also matte varnish vs primer - my Ink set up is currently with a varnish - should I switch to primer instead - I wont be using gloss as a finish at all with what I do.

I am mainly printing onto acrylic (I know all the... ahem.... constraints with acrylic - but still determined to make it work) I am having great success with a specialty sandblasted acrylic but would like to use the gloss acrylics I have in stock for my Laser Cutting business.

My reseller in OZ - main focus is printing onto Vinyl, pens, golf balls etc - which is not for my specific industry at all so any tips with acrylics would be great!

Thanks a mill!
Laser Lady ⚡️
Attachments
thrift.jpg
Laser Lady ⚡️
Laser Wizardry since 2007
LEF 2-200
Trotec Speedy 360

Joe Wigzell
Gold Member

Post by Joe Wigzell » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:39 am

Hello Laser Lady!

What a nice treat to have to play with during lockdown :D

Ok, here goes...
The question - under what circumstances do you adjust the UV lumination settings. Do you have tips and guides on when you "would adjust" and for what substrates you may need the adjust UV lumination settings for. Seeing that it is adjustable and all within Versa Works - it must be a function that you can use?
It's rare that you would use this function. The ink needs to fully cure, and on all materials this requires the 100% lamp settings.
The only time/reason that we have used this was for part curing ink to let something stick to it...like foil or glitter, then fully curing after. Be careful with glitter though as the small particles could be whipped around in the air with the movement of the head, and you don't want them getting on your printhead which could lead to scratching.
Also matte varnish vs primer - my Ink set up is currently with a varnish - should I switch to primer instead - I wont be using gloss as a finish at all with what I do.
If you are never goign to use the gloss,then primer woul have been a better option perhaps.
Personally, I would always choose the gloss, but that's because I love the effects you can create and I would just use a wipe-on primer as it is quicker, no need for multiple print processes. But this would depend on the type of items you are printing, as the printable primer works better on some materials than others. Also if you only want the primer in small sections under the print, however I find most primers are ok to wipe on the entire area and then print anyway.
The gloss can be used as matte or gloss to create some really cool effects!
I am mainly printing onto acrylic (I know all the... ahem.... constraints with acrylic - but still determined to make it work) I am having great success with a specialty sandblasted acrylic but would like to use the gloss acrylics I have in stock for my Laser Cutting business.
It's strange, I hear people saying about issues with acrylic but I've rarely seen these. I find it works great!
If the acrylic is not going to be handled much, probably no need for a primer, just a good clean with isoprop, but if you want really good adhesion a wipe on primer normally does the trick! Have also printed/cut with a laser in both orders - print then cut and cut then print, if print then cut using a registartion camera it would probably be wise to add a small offset to the cut from the print.

Just as a note, I have always found that if you're having adhesion issues, that colour sticks better than white as a first layer, so you could try printing a colour layer first (say 50% grey or something) then printing white>CMYK.

Hope some of that helps!?

Cheers
Joe Wigzell
Roland DG UK Ltd