Roland DXY 1300 help required please

Come in and introduce yourself
WhitePointer

Roland DXY 1300 help required please

Post by WhitePointer » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:41 am

Hi Guys, this is my first post here and I'm looking for a bit of help please. I've got an old Roland DXY 1300 plotter in perfect working order which I had the pleasure in purchasing for my company when it was new. The Plotter retired with me, and it's getting a new lease of life in being converted to a laser engraver/cutter. The laser bit is the easy bit as fortunately, I have the necessary laser knowledge to do this but I'd like to use the existing stepper motors and power them from new drivers. So do any of you guys know the drive voltage and current that the DXY 1300 used for the steppers please. The X axis stepper is a KP42 HMI-021 made by Japan Servo Co Ltd and has 19 Ohm resistance coils. The Y axis is a smaller 42 unit and has 29 Ohm coils. If I can successfully convert the unit I'll be happy to post details of the conversion here if anyone is interested.
Many Thanks, Al.

Kai Perry

Re: Roland DXY 1300 help required please

Post by Kai Perry » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:14 am

I have checked our records, but due to the age of the machine we have no information on the motors.
Kai Perry
Application Engineer
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

LukeS

Post by LukeS » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:15 am

I have been digging around for more technical information on Roland pen plotters myself. I own two and love these, the build quality is second to none. I tried getting instruction manuals for these units from roland but they said they don't even have that anymore which is understandable but a huge bummer. For the stepper motors, they are made by Japan Servo Co which is now owned by Nidec Servo, I tried emailing them to get the specs on the steppers but never got a response. The KP series seems to be long since discontinued but you can find some info on their steppers here
http://www.nidec-servo.com/en/digital/p ... e_ftrs.pdf
http://www.nidec-servo.com/en/digital/c_ste/index.html

It would be great to find a service manual on these units, they have to be out there somewhere.

Feel free to PM me and maybe we can pool resources. There is a cult following for these old pen plotters so I was thinking of creating a webpage that everyone can share manuals, drivers, and other info they have on these units.

tony1tf

Post by tony1tf » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:50 pm

Hi folks

My first post as well. I also have a DXY-1300 scrapped many years ago and would like to convert it into a laser cutter or similar.
I have a couple of questions:
Why are you wanting to drive the motors direct? - surely Roland do a good job of it anyway, and there's plenty of s/w around to drive the Centronics or serial interface.
Secondly - do you know what the rating of the DC power in is - mine has unfortunately no power supply - connector says 9.7V/31V

Tony

stackoverflow12

Post by stackoverflow12 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:41 pm

Hi

I am looking for the Manual for the DXY 1300 do you know where I can get it. I have found the 1350 but not the 1300.

Regards

James

currosalamanca

Post by currosalamanca » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:48 pm

Hello
I have an old DXY 1300 with some problems at start up.
I also have the manual for this plotter, but in spanish.
If any one wants it, I can scan it and send by mail.
please mail to currosalamanca@gmail.com.
Regards.
JLK

Someguy

Post by Someguy » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:06 pm

I have a Roland DXY980 plotter. It used to work well. I no longer have software to drive it.

I'm thinking of converting it to a laser PCB printer.

My plotter has KP42EMI-005 0.9 degree per step servo motors made by Japan Servo Co Ltd. I'm wondering if I could microstep these servo motors ?

Any idea what voltage they would be ? The power supply for my plotter is 28V and 5V.

ZAKATTAK

Post by ZAKATTAK » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:50 pm

Hello
I also have a DXY 1300 which is used for pcb circuits and here is what I have done to it

1 Peeled off the static paper hold laminate to give clearance for 1.6mm pcb's. hold pcb with double sided sellotape
2 Changed xtal for 8 meg one to slow down pen speed (that's as low as I an go, but still a bit to fast even on pen speed 1)
3 Use demo Winline plotter driver (or break it ), you can plot the circuit with a different pen and leave out the pen used to draw the logo.
4 For pc with no parallel or serial ports.
Use USB to RS232 converter (FT232RL 3.3V 5.5V FTDI USB to TTL Serial Adapter Module ) with MAX3232 RS232 Serial Port To TTL Converter Module
Male DB9, and then DB9 Female 9 pin to 25 pin Male Null Modem Cable.
5 Best drawing results from Staedtler 319 S-9 Black Round 0.4 mm (S is for superfine) from Conrad Electronic

Things to do
Reduce pen speed further by using hardware to divide the phase pulse to the stepper drivers (TEA3718 ) by 2 or 4 then increasing the circuit layout size by the same amount

Try to get manual and schematic ( any offers )

Anyone tried to draw directly on to photo sensitive pcb with UV led on plotter

minlanire

Post by minlanire » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:27 am

I no longer have software to drive it.
Last edited by Ryan Anderson on Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please do not post hidden links in your reply.

ZAKATTAK

Post by ZAKATTAK » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:52 pm

Following My previous post

Success with laser
I can produce reasonable Pcb's on dxy 1300 Plotter
100mw £20 Ebay UV laser mounted onto pen lift solenoid, focused to about 0.007mm spot. Laser current 90ma, pen speed 1.
Heath Robinson home made switch on pen carrier (when pen goes down laser on)
Pcb laminated with negative dry film resist
Sequence
1 Produce pcb layout (I use proteus Ares with labcenter drivers)
2 Laminate pcb (negative dry film )
3 Plot directly onto pcb
4 Develop
5 Etch
6 Strip resist
7 Done

Quick and easy