Getting a DPX-3300 up and running again

Come in and introduce yourself
Masibu-Labs

Getting a DPX-3300 up and running again

Post by Masibu-Labs » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:31 pm

Hello all,
I'm in the process of recommissioning a huge DPX-3300 plotter that was donated to my local Hackspace and was hoping for some advice and help. The eventual goal is to have it running mostly as a vinyl cutter and maybe even with a creasing wheel for making card boxes or folded things.

Its not been used in years but has been stored well so is in great condition mechanically with only the electrostatic bed being broken. Currently got it working over parallel using the original drivers on an XP laptop but would like to get it running on Linux. I was wondering if any other users have had experience with this plotter and particularly does any one have the manual any more?

Current Issues
  • Manual for the DPX-3300 or a similar model.
  • Servicing Advice: There is no lubrication left on the linear rods, what is the recommended lubricant for plotters of this type.
  • Setting Origin: All test prints seem to set origin in the centre as expected for a plotter of this size but then plots as if its a corner origin, I'm pretty sure this is a file issue and I'm not declaring something properly, any advice?
  • Example Test Plot: Does any one have a simple example test plot for a centre origin plotter that is known to work. Also is HPGL format going to work as expected or do I need to use the roland format
  • Front Panel Buttons: This plotter has a LL, UR, P1 and P2 buttons corresponding to the lower left (LL and P1) and upper right (UR and P2). Initially these work as expected but after a few cycles of alternating the pen position between them the UR and P2 gets reset to a new position in the lower right corner of the plotter. The UR position will return to its original point if you use the Jog buttons to manually move it up a ~10mm before re pressing UR. Its very strange and fairly repeatable making me not sure if it is a loose cable.
Well sorry about the long list of requests, but I'm going to try documenting everything we do so hopefully will be helpful to anyone else with the same model.

NB. Edited on the 13/03/16 to change model name from DXY-3300 to DPX-3300.

Masibu
Last edited by Masibu-Labs on Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kai Perry

Re: Getting a DXY-3300 up and running again

Post by Kai Perry » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:36 pm

Hi,

Can I please confirm is the machine a DXY-3300 or DPX-3300?

We do have a manual for the DPX-3300.
Kai Perry
Application Engineer
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

Masibu-Labs

Re: Getting a DXY-3300 up and running again

Post by Masibu-Labs » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:01 am

HI Kai,

I feel like a real idiot, I just checked and yes it is a DPX-3300, I have no idea how I got it in to my head that it was a DXY. Do I create a support ticket to get the manual?

Cheers

Kai Perry

Re: Getting a DPX-3300 up and running again

Post by Kai Perry » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:36 am

Yes log a ticket with the RolandCare team they will able to send you a copy.
Kai Perry
Application Engineer
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

garyinspringhill

Re: Getting a DPX-3300 up and running again

Post by garyinspringhill » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:50 pm

I wrote an application to control this and many other devices, for Ubuntu , Mint, Debian Linux.
I have five roland engravers and plotters for testing Tux Plot so it runs them extra nice.

Check out "Tux Plot" on Youtube.