Newbie here with contour cut issues

Post questions, share ideas and techniques related to sign-making and graphics production
parnison

Newbie here with contour cut issues

Post by parnison » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:06 pm

Hi All,

Brand new to the forum, I have picked up a Roland SP-300V and I am looking initially just to print and cut stickers on it.

I am brand new to using this equipment and whilst I have a basic knowledge of Photoshop for building websites and am by no means a PC novice, I have no knowledge of Corel Draw or Illustrator.

The 2 things I would like to be able to do are Contour cuts and perf cuts and I have been watching tutorials on youtube and with a little trial and error think I have produced a file with a contour cut line around it (Attached) when I open the file in versaworks however it does not show that there is a cut line around the image.

I will mainly be using raster images but will use vector where available, is there an easier way to do this than trying to use illustrator?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice you can offer.

PhillyDee
Silver Member

Re: Newbie here with contour cut issues

Post by PhillyDee » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:10 pm

You have to use vector formats for cutting. Do you have the versaworks pallette installed? The line will also need to be a hairline (in corel) or 0.001 (IIRC) in illustrator.
Roland BN-20 (CMYKWh)
Roland Versa UV LEF-20 (CMYK Pr Wh)
HPC Laser - LS6840PRO 60W Laser cutter/engraver
HPC Laser - LS1290PRO 80W Laser cutter/engraver x3
HPC Laser - LS6090PRO 80W Laser cutter/engraver x2
Trotec Speedy 300 120W with JC Vision Camera system and rotary axis.

parnison

Post by parnison » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:18 pm

Yes I have installed the versaworks palette and it's from that I created the cutline but I think it was 0.25 points.

Could I send you the file so you can see what I have done? It may be completely wrong?

weevee

Post by weevee » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:15 am

Hi Parnison, did you get this sorted?

The easiest way to create a cut line in Coreldraw is to select the 'Object' you need cut-lining, and then click on 'Arrange' > 'Shaping' > 'Boundary'. The resulting boundary line will then become your cut-line when you change its 'Properties' to 'Hairline' and its colour to 'Cut-contour'.

If you've more than one 'Object' to cut-line, select them all and click on 'Arrange' > 'Group' > 'Shaping' > 'Boundary' ~ and then do the same as before with 'Properties' > 'Hairline' > 'Cut-contour'.

When loaded into Versaworks, you should now have a 'moving-ants' cut-line around your image.

Steve