Versacamm VS-540i Die Cut Sticker Printing

Post questions, share ideas and techniques related to sign-making and graphics production
alsmith

Versacamm VS-540i Die Cut Sticker Printing

Post by alsmith » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:14 pm

Hi There

I'm looking at printing stickers and have been working with a local printer who has a Versacamm VS-540i, but we've been having some troubles using the cuts. We want them die cut, which we've been experimenting with both the PerfCutContour and CutContour. Originally we used both lines with a slight spacing in between them, but then it meant we had to remove the thin line of sticker between the two cut paths, which proved to take a huge amount of time for a small run of stickers. We then decided to try just using the PerfCutContour, which we did a very small run of our logo stickers (die cut), and a run of 100 circular cut stickers. These both turned out okay.

We used a pressure of around 200 on the perf cut, (as anything lower was leaving shreds of paper around the edges that again were difficult to remove), Distance between each perforation was the highest we could go, for ease of popping out stickers (I think it was 200mm).

I then tried a new design, and the plotter was just snagging all the edges and it looked horrible. I think the only thing we changed was testing out double printing, and high quality printing, just to get the black print nice and richer. I don't know if the ink needed more time to dry before cutting, but we were printing around 3 rows at a time, then cutting them (we didn't want to do too many rows at a time, otherwise the print and cut would fall out of line). The design didn't have any particularly sharped corners to cut than the original we did.

I then tried having the PerfCutContour and CutContour following the exact same lines and the printer did not like this at all, it totally chewed up the sticker and had to force shut down the printer to stop it.

We also tried with fresh blades and it would do the same thing. It seems like last week we had all the settings perfect to create stickers exactly how we wanted, and then this week everything was wrong, but still using the same settings.

We are using the Metamark MDP-H high tack print and cut vinyl. I'm kind of at a loss as to what to try next, but we're aiming to get everything running smoothly so we can start offering stickers to our customers. Many of our customers designs will be custom cut, so we need to get it running smoothly and producing retail quality stickers.

Any tips would be much appreciated!

-Al

Kai Perry

Re: Versacamm VS-540i Die Cut Sticker Printing

Post by Kai Perry » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:39 am

Check the design of the cutpath, ensure that there as few nodes as possible, then test the length of the perforated cut, if the job is too small you may have to change the perforate cut shape to get it to work.
Kai Perry
Application Engineer
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

alsmith

Post by alsmith » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:03 pm

Thanks Kai

We seem to have resolved the plotter absolutely shredding the paper, however our final products are still a little rough round the edges. We have the blade extending out as far as can be, it's a relatively new blade, using a perf pressure of 180 to go through the backing, but they seem to tear a little on the edges. I'm pretty sure we ordered in heavy duty blades when we started the project. Any tips for getting a cleaner cut on the edges? Even on simple circles they are a little rough.

Al

Ryan Anderson

Post by Ryan Anderson » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:05 am

Hi Al,

You should never have the blade fully extended, that will cause it to bow under the pressure of cutting. The blade should only be out of the holder by the thickness of your media plus a small margin for error. It can take a little trial and error to get it right.
Ryan Anderson
RolandCare Engineer
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
My LinkedIn Profile

alsmith

Post by alsmith » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:07 pm

Will this stop the rough edges? It seems the perf cut isnt going through the material enough so it's snagging when popping the stickers out

Kai Perry

Post by Kai Perry » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:34 pm

The only way to improve the perforated cut is to use a new blade or a material with a wax backing instead of a paper based one.
Kai Perry
Application Engineer
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk