Garment Media Plotting

Post questions, share ideas and techniques relating to promotional and corporate gift production
DPD Print

Garment Media Plotting

Post by DPD Print » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:44 am

Hi, has anyone out there got any tips on the plotting and weeding out of text plotted on garment media. Did a test the other day and found it impossible to pick off the waste from the backing sheet without also picking up the text. Should I increase the blade force or enable the option to cut twice?

Kai Perry

Re: Garment Media Plotting

Post by Kai Perry » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:09 am

There are a couple of reasons why this may be happening, either the blade being used is not sharp enough and you aren't cutting through the glue layer, if you check the blade under a magnifying glass, this would show if it is damaged.

The other reason could be that the blade extension is too much and you could be cutting into the backing material, if this is the case, rotate the nosecone on the blade holder and test it after every half turn until the backing material is only being gently marked not cut.
Kai Perry
Application Engineer
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

Mal
Silver Member

Post by Mal » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:34 pm

Hi,

Did you manage to sort your weeding problem?

Mal
Mal Dewhurst
mal@dewhursts.com

Using a SP540i with Versaworks V4.6, CoralDRAW X3 and SignLab 9

DPD Print

Post by DPD Print » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:06 pm

Hi Mal, not sorted it out yet, Have you any suggestions? It may be that it is not possible to cut and weed type at 24pt. Is this too small to achieve?

Mal
Silver Member

Post by Mal » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:00 am

I think the smallest size that can be cut is 6mm on a versacamm (which in according to coral is 24pt) so you should be fine. Are you using the right blade for the garment vinyl you are using, is it a new blade with the right off set set? I know it sounds obvious, but have you carried out a test cut to see if it weeds at a larger size?

Mal
Mal Dewhurst
mal@dewhursts.com

Adam Wyles
Gold Member

Post by Adam Wyles » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:56 am

Hi DPD

Mal makes a good point that there will be a limit to what size you can weed out. At 6mm you would also be wanting all the letters to be in Caps or the dots on the "i's" and the centre of the "e's" will have you pulling your hair out! :shock: :evil: Weeding small is possible and is a combination of blade, blade pressure, cutting strip in perfect condition and also the correct media. If you can give us a little more info I am positive we will have you weeding small designs and text in no time at all.

We look forward to hering back for you.
Adam Wyles
Regional Support Manager
TheMagicTouch
"Everything is changing - so be part of it"

Visit us at http://www.themagictouch.co.uk
Follow me on Twitter @AdamWyles1

DPD Print

Post by DPD Print » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:36 pm

OK thanks for all you help. The media is a white flex heat transfer, cutting strip is brand new, blade offset is 0.25mm and force I used was 100gf with two passes. Its perfect on a simple rounded box (size approx 50mm square) but the text is still a nightmare to weed. Do you think I need to increase the force, use more passes?

Mal
Silver Member

Post by Mal » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:53 pm

I use easy flex (which I think is by xpress but bought via ralawise) force is between 50 and 65 (if more is needed or its a detailed design I put a new blade in) and I only ever use a single pass and although sometime I (or should I say, Kelly the weeding girl) have to be very patient and careful not to remove parts that need keeping.

I would do multipul tests with more gf, then new blade less gf, slower speed etc (only change one thing per test then you know what's made the difference) to see what works best. then note the settings for next time.

Good luck...

Mal
Mal Dewhurst
mal@dewhursts.com

Wolfie
Bronze Member

Post by Wolfie » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:36 pm

Always worth just putting the vinyl on top of the top plate of your heat press for a few seconds, amazing how much easier it makes weeding out when the vinyl is warmed up........as long as it is cut correctly that is.

Adam Wyles
Gold Member

Post by Adam Wyles » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:02 pm

Wolfie wrote:Always worth just putting the vinyl on top of the top plate of your heat press for a few seconds, amazing how much easier it makes weeding out when the vinyl is warmed up........as long as it is cut correctly that is.
You are so right Wolfie and to add to this weeding in the summer months is far easier than weeding in the winter months. (premises dependant)
Last edited by Adam Wyles on Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam Wyles
Regional Support Manager
TheMagicTouch
"Everything is changing - so be part of it"

Visit us at http://www.themagictouch.co.uk
Follow me on Twitter @AdamWyles1