BN-20 Driver issue on windows 8

ES442

BN-20 Driver issue on windows 8

Post by ES442 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:22 am

Hi,

I am trying to install my BN-20 on my PC but I am having a driver issue and I do not know what to do next.

I am using windows 8.1 64bit - I have installed:
- BN-20 utility 1.4
- Roland VersaWorks Dual and updated it
- I also downloaded and installed the driver for windows 8 from (http://download.rolanddg.jp/en/color.html#bn20)

but when I plug the usb cable in I get Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed) I know the device and cable work as they both work on my Win 10 laptop. I also know the USB port works and I have tested in a few other ports just in case and I still get the same issue.

I have also tried to update the driver and given the location of the driver to windows but I get the message "Windows has determined that the driver software for your device is up to date" I then tried the same thing but select "let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer" and the selecting "Have disk" I then point it to the ".inf" file and I get "The folder you specified doesn't contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the folder contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with Windows for x64-based systems". I know I got the right driver from the site so I am not sure what is wrong, does any one have any ideas?

Thanks,
Edward

weevee

Re: BN-20 Driver issue on windows 8

Post by weevee » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:10 am

Hi Edward

I'm far from qualified to help you really, but until someone 'in the know' responds, I will just say that my own BN20 wouldn't work at all when I tried to use it via a USB3 port. I plugged it into a USB2 port, and had no problems with it thereafter! Are your ports USB3? Maybe you have the same issue?

Steve

mrtn
Gold Member

Post by mrtn » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:08 pm

Works both in USB2 and USB3 ports. There’s something wrong with your port driver.

Windows 8 is not supported by anyone anymore, including Microsoft. Upgrade to 10 and be done with it.
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

ES442

Post by ES442 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:13 pm

Hi Steve,

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I am using USB 2.0 and the win 10 labtop is also using usb 2.0 - what do you think should be my next step?

@mrtn Windows 8 main stream support literally ended a few weeks back and it still gets security updates till 2020 so it far from obsolete. Furthermore, I had the same issue originally with windows 10 but eventually managed to fix it but that was a few month back and I can't seem to remember what I did.

Kai Perry

Post by Kai Perry » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:20 am

From the printers list delete the BN-20, then reboot. The unistall it from the programs list from control panel. Reboot again. After reboot go to Start then Run, the type in printui /s look at the driver package list and remove the BN-20.

This should remove all the driver detail from the install.

The reinstall the driver using the setup64.exe in the BN-20 folder, once done plugin the machine.

The machine should then connect.
Kai Perry
Application Engineer
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

weevee

Post by weevee » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:52 pm

ES442 wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:13 pm
Hi Steve,

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I am using USB 2.0 and the win 10 labtop is also using usb 2.0 - what do you think should be my next step?
I'm still using Windows 7, Edward, and the original Versaworks (not Dual), and everything's fine with my BN20 ~ except the banding I get with magenta after it's been standing for exactly three days (..oddly, it's never any other colours: it's never even the metallic silver!)

I can't help with your problem though, since I'm a printing 'newbie'. I've learned the little I know by trial-and-error, or from the two chaps who are helping you now. Kai's latest suggestion sounds promising. Good luck with it!

Steve

ES442

Post by ES442 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:07 pm

Hi Kai,

I followed your instructions but I am still having the same issue. The one thing I was not clear on was when you said "unistall it from the programs list" do you mean from the program and features list as the only thing I could find there was the BN-20 utility (ver 1.4)?

This is what I did:
1) Uninstalled and removed the unknown device with the yellow exclamation mark and restarted the computer

2) I then ran printui /s and looked for the BN-20 in driver package but could not see it – my other printers were all there

3) Just to make sure the BN-20 driver was gone I went back to Devices and printers and clicked add a printer and tried to find the BN-20 from the list it was not there (it was previously)

4) I restarted and went to install the driver and noticed it had an uninstall option which I clicked and this again restarted the PC

5) Finally, I installed the driver

Before plugging the machine in I went to Devices and printers and the BN-20 was not in the list of printers but I could find the printer via add a printer but cancelled this process. I also checked printui /s and noticed again it was not in the list. I plugged in the unit and got a message usb device not recognised then it tries to do a quick check/install but fails and in the Devices and printers section I again get an icon under Unspecified with a yellow exclamation mark. In properties I still get the same device status message: Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

Any additional help would be great!

Thanks again.

Kai Perry

Post by Kai Perry » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:21 am

Try the same again, but this time don't install the driver, plug in the machine and then look in device manager for the BN-20, it should be under unknown or other device, then try updating the driver software and select the correct driver.

If this doesn't work have you tried it on a different PC?
Kai Perry
Application Engineer
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk