Printing CMY only

zigzagman

Printing CMY only

Post by zigzagman » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:21 am

I have had a dream run with my Roland BN20 but recently it developed a head problem which I have not been able to clear. All cleaning modes have been repetitively performed including several tries at manual cleaning. The problem is mainly concentrated around the black (and silver) jet areas, leaving the cyan, magenta, & yellow performing well. Like others looking into a possible replacement for the DX7 head, I was stunned to learn about the extraordinary cost (which in Australia, seems to end up being around $3.5k! - totally unaffordable, to me anyway).

After many attempts to get reasonable quality print and in desperation to get a long standing job completed, I then had the idea of converting all 100% black text and graphics to 0% black and 100% cyan, magenta, & yellow. I use Corel Draw for my layouts and this is very straightforward using the find/replace option. I then followed my normal process, and exported the graphic to an EPS and brought it into Versaworks but got the same bad quality print as before... the CMY blacks were obviously being massaged in the Versaworks colour profiles to once again include black ink.
In comparison, I then printed directly from Corel and got the desired result... the black consisting of 100% C,M & Y printed perfectly, dead sharp with none of the jagged lines and haze I have been getting with the faulty black print head jets.

My question therefore is: Is there a way to print in CMY only using Versaworks? I would much prefer this for job control and RIP layout convenience but despite having only CMY in the artwork, it always seems to use black jets when printing.

Kai Perry

Re: Printing CMY only

Post by Kai Perry » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:36 pm

VersaWorks doesn't give this option, you could use a different RIP which gives you the ability to control which heads are used.
Kai Perry
Application Engineer
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

zigzagman

Re: Printing CMY only

Post by zigzagman » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:55 am

OK
Thanks Kai