CutStudio Plugins

Kai Perry

Re: CutStudio Plugins

Post by Kai Perry » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:06 am

I've been using it fine today and haven't seen any issues, but shall check with the other users.
Kai Perry
Application Engineer
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

MIKEKENNY2

Post by MIKEKENNY2 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:16 pm

Hi Kai,
I dumped the cutstudio plug in, and illustrator is working fine again, Lost my favourite fonts , actions, etc. etc.
I don't think I will be using cutstudio again, too much grief.

doublet

Post by doublet » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:49 pm

MIKEKENNY2 wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:16 pm
Hi Kai,
I dumped the cutstudio plug in, and illustrator is working fine again, Lost my favourite fonts , actions, etc. etc.
I don't think I will be using cutstudio again, too much grief.
Mike, did you have the same issue as I did? - corrupt preferences file.

doublet

Post by doublet » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:54 pm

Kai Perry wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:06 am
Ity really depends on how you use the cutter, if just for simple text and shape output or for cuttinhg printed designs then any version previous to the latest will work, even down to the early CS versions. Notably you can just use CutStudio to create and output direct.
Kai, does this version issue exist with new versions of the cutter - ie, I have the GX24, if I purchased a newer desktop cutter, would I still have to worry about the CutStudio plugin or is it different software that drives the newer cutters?

Kai Perry

Post by Kai Perry » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:15 am

Software wise it really depends on what you are trying to achieve and your own workflow.

New machines come supplied with the basic cutting software CutStudio which works on a PC, you can then use plugins for CorelDraw and Illustrator which is what we constantly have issues with those softwares being updated and changed, every version of each one means that more development needs to be carried out off plan, this is why it takes some time to develop them.

You can cut direct from CorelDraw bypassing CutStudio completely or you can also use the dedicated sign making programs such as SignLAB or FlexiSign.

However none of these are available on a MAC, if using a MAC the only solution is Illustrator with the extension.

There are other software programs which allow you to cut a line to output to the machine just using the Windows Driver.
Kai Perry
Application Engineer
Roland DG (UK) Ltd

doublet

Post by doublet » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:09 pm

thanks Kai - I did attempt to use VersaWorks to run my GX-24, as it works so well with my SP-540i, but that failed and I didn't ever get around to investigating why it didn't work.
I use illustrator for all my design work, only rarely (for very simple type work) do I design in cutstudio. Fingers crossed though, Illustrator's preference file hasn't corrupted for a day, so perhaps all is well now - we have had power outages here due to summer storms the past few days, so that wouldn't have helped.

Kai Perry

Post by Kai Perry » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:13 am

The preference file issue was a bug within Illustrator - see the details here -https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/ ... cimal.html
Kai Perry
Application Engineer
Roland DG (UK) Ltd

doublet

Post by doublet » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:11 am

Kai Perry wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:13 am
The preference file issue was a bug within Illustrator - see the details here -https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/ ... cimal.html
Hi Kai,

I just did some testing and this bug is consistently triggered by outputting something via the Cutstudio Plugin. I went through the steps on the link you posted here and it isn't about locale - my comma and period settings were already correct, and changing system locale to America wasn't the fix - I am in Australia and didn't really want my system locale to be changed to America.

But when I followed the instructions to the letter, everything was fine until I then used the CutStudio Plugin, so I am willing to bet the problem lies in the plugin somewhere.

So, there is a problem - preference file gets corrupted on using CutStudio Plugin. Not useful.

Can you please ask your development team to look into this? (Latest version of Illustrator (2019 - 23.1), Windows 10)

As a workaround, I have found and backed up my preference file and shall copy that back after I use the plugin every time... clunky, but hopefully it will work, rather than having to rebuild my preferences from scratch every time!
Kai Perry wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:15 am
There are other software programs which allow you to cut a line to output to the machine just using the Windows Driver.
Do you know what I should search for to find one of these programs? thanks

thanks
Teresa

Kai Perry

Post by Kai Perry » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:30 pm

Thanks for the information, I will raise it with them.

Have a look at either using CutStudio direct or Corel Draw with the Windows Driver.
Kai Perry
Application Engineer
Roland DG (UK) Ltd

doublet

Post by doublet » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:06 pm

thank you but no thank you - I am sticking with illustrator. I think I can live with my fix until this issue is sorted.

Looking forward to hearing from you with a resolution, thanks for looking into it.