CX-24 cable conundrum

Need advice on using your Roland Hardware.
Please note we do not give engineering advice in this group
Kai Perry

Re: CX-24 cable conundrum

Post by Kai Perry » Tue May 21, 2013 2:48 pm

Hi Geraldine,

Have you got this working now?
Kai Perry
Application Engineer
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

GeraldineO

Post by GeraldineO » Wed May 22, 2013 2:59 am

Hi Kai,
Thanks for checking in. Still waiting for the cable. Should arrive this week from the States.
I'm still keeping paws and whiskers crossed that it works.
- Geraldine

mrtn
Gold Member

Post by mrtn » Wed May 22, 2013 9:03 am

If anyone has any problems sourcing the serial cable, feel free to ask me, I have them in stock.
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

GeraldineO

Post by GeraldineO » Fri May 24, 2013 5:41 am

Thank you for the heads up Martin. It might come to that.
I opened the package with the cable today and the store sent the WRONG item.
IMG_2134.jpg
The saga continues.
Will post when I finagle a return and obtain the correct item. Egads.

GeraldineO

Post by GeraldineO » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:42 am

Hi Kai,
You officially get the "GENIUS" trophy.

After re-ordering yet another null modem cable from ebay, (which arrived yesterday), I added it onto the USB to serial converter and it WORKED!
I nearly fell out of my chair and am still staring owlishly at the vinyl sheet that's been cut.

But now, there is a new problem. The error message Er15:RS-232 Err keeps coming up,
I found out that I should set the I/O setting to Serial from the Menu on the CX-24 and match that on the Production Manager end.
Setting the #Hands to XON/XOFF and matching that on Production Manager on the computer end seems to solve the problem initially but on a second or third try it comes up with the same error message again. When on the #Hands: H-Wire setting, I still get the error message above setting it on either CTS or None.

Any insight you can give on this would be appreciated.

Again, my heartfelt thanks!
- Geraldine

citrusfrog

Post by citrusfrog » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:16 pm

Hi all, new here...

I have been searching EVERYWHERE for this information!

I was originally using my CX-24 Camm-1 with the parallel port into an older PC (10yrs) with XP and Illustrator CS4. No problems until XP final gave in a few days ago.

I actually work on a Mac, (17" Macbook Pro) and would really like to use the cutter with that - the PC is now pretty much an ugly paperweight.

My Mac is still on OSX - Snow Leopard, and I use Adobe Illustrator CS4 for my vector artwork.

There is nothing wrong with the CX-24 - it's as new, but I want to know how to use it with a Mac and Illustrator CS4 - Is this possible? It seems that it might be from what is being said in this post.

What I'd love a straight answer to is:

What cables do I need to enable the Mac to print to the CX-24? (I have the original supplied cable - its the Parallel to serial crossover I think - image attached - or I can buy a 25 - 9 pin serial off the shelf).

Do I now just need a 25 to 9 pin converter, and a 9pin serial to usb?

If so, cables sorted.

Will the driver for Illustrator CS4 / GX-24 work with the CX-24 now I can (in theory) connect via USB?

If not, what software / drivers will I need for Mac?

What's all this about ports communication - do I need to manually set something up there?

Any help would be amazing, there must be a way!

Many thanks in advance

Paul
Attachments
photo.JPG
Original Cable

mrtn
Gold Member

Post by mrtn » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:30 pm

Your cable, pictured, is a Centronics-parallel. Both, serial and parallel to USB-converters should be available in any computer electronics shop.

Not sure about Mac drivers as I don't have one.
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

gujaratpackers

Post by gujaratpackers » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:31 am

thanks for this valuable information.

packers
Location: G-3 Shop,Lot 49 Dajinagar, Near Happy Medical, Warasia Road, Moti Nagar, Kishanwadi, VADODARA, GUJAR

Post by packers » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:39 am

the #Hands to XON/XOFF and matching that on Production Manager on the computer end seems to solve the problem initially but on a second or third try it comes up with the same error message again. When on the #Hands: H-Wire setting, I still get the error message above setting it on either CTS or None.

Kai Perry

Post by Kai Perry » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:33 am

For a Mac connection, it will depend greatly on the software, for a CX-24 you need to use it direct with a serial crossover cable (null modem).

If you are using the original software you will not be able to use the USB converter cables, as the drivers were only written for direct port access.

As you are using Illustrator you would need a plugin to cut on the machine, the original ones were SignCut or SignPal, but I haven't seen copies of them recently, there is NCS MagiSign, which may allow the use of the USB converter cable.

On the GX ranges and above the CutStudio software works but it is only for a direct USB connection, so the CX may work but this untested.
Kai Perry
Application Engineer
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk