MDX-40 firmware update problem

Need advice on using your Roland Hardware.
Please note we do not give engineering advice in this group
ilmastodontti

MDX-40 firmware update problem

Post by ilmastodontti » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:31 am

Hello.

Our golsdsmiths studio has a problem with a Roland MDX-40 firmware update. We are running it on a machine with Windows 10 with Windows 8 drivers. A recent Windows update caused VPanel to vanish and I can't reinstall it. The driver properties Window freezes the system. The time to update the firmware to MDX-40A has come. We got an old Windows XP laptop for the firmware update. Everything went smoothly all the way to phase 3/13. I was prompted to verify the version and I started the mill to update mode. Scanning blinking and I click OK. The updater gives the error "No signal. Cannot find active printer driver." No firmware update is sent. I try again and when I turn the machine power on in the update mode, Windows XP tells me it has found MDX-40A and would like to install drivers for it. But yet again, the updater gives me the same error.

First I thought that I'd need to update the MDX-40 firmware to the newest version to update it to MDX-40A and I tried to run the 1.90 firmware update with DropOut. All I got was a printing error while sending the MDX-40 1.90 firmware update.
I surmise some data was sent before the error, so the XP recognizes it as MDX-40A even if it doesn't have the firmware and that's why the 1.90 firmware update failed.

I can still run the mill as MDX-40 with the loaned Windows XP laptop, but that won't solve my problem.

Is there a way to check which firmware the mill has? What do I need to do to get the MDX-40A upgrade sent to the machine? Is there a way reset the situation?

ilmastodontti

Re: MDX-40 firmware update problem

Post by ilmastodontti » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:32 am

I was actually able to solve the problem myself. For future reference, I needed to install the MDX-40A drivers on the XP for the updater to start sending the firmware update through the spooler. Go figure. Any case, problem solved.

Patrick Thorn
Gold Member

Post by Patrick Thorn » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:45 pm

Glad you solved it.
Yes the Roland Updater was designed for starting at Windows XP as that was the current OS for the MDX-40 at the time.
Patrick Thorn
Premier Consultant - 3D Technology
Roland DG UK Ltd

http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

leomota

Post by leomota » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:20 am

Patrick Thorn, and what we can do when the driver installation on Windows XP fails? What kind of port do I select to install the machine? COM, LTP? When I try to install for windows xp with USB it says it is not possible because xp does not support usb. When I install with a COM port and connect the machine via USB, sometimes the pc recognizes the machine, and when I try to open the VPAnel for example it appears as if the machine had been disconnected and it gives error and then it does not recognize more, it gives error in the driver