Roland SP-300v Head Problem?!?

Need advice on using your Roland Hardware.
Please note we do not give engineering advice in this group
chri55

Roland SP-300v Head Problem?!?

Post by chri55 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:11 am

Hi all need help Identifying / fixing the problem with our Roland SP-300v printer.

The problem is mostly with the black. I suspect the head is blocked but don’t know how to rectify this, without spending loads on a new print head.

I’ve read some forum pages where people do a head soak / or use flush cartridges. But as this is something I’ve nether tackled before and I’m a bit concerned about making the problem worse.
Being out of warranty I’ve had to change parts in the past with success, these parts are the usual things like the linear strip, the strip sensor, pinch rollers, the media width wire that connects the cutting tool to the main board at the back of the printer and the usual throw away cleaning parts like sponges and wipers. So I’m able to get into the service mode as well if this helps.

The printer heaters run at around 42-44 and changing this setting does not seem to affect the print quality to much.

Now the printer is about 6-7 years old and the black has for years now had a small amount of 'Blocked' nozzles but in the last year become steadily worse. It now seems to produce a hazed / blurred edge instead of giving crisp one like it used to.

Here is the test print taken this morning after the printer was manually cleaned followed by a 'medium' head clean:

Also no matter how I seem to try and align the print and cut it's always been slightly out of alignment, How can this be corrected?

Thanks in advance
Last edited by chri55 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrtn
Gold Member

Re: Roland SP-300v Head Problem?!?

Post by mrtn » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:58 am

Your picture doesn't show. 6-7 years is pretty much the max amount you can get out of a black head.

Print-cut alignment is a more complex issue, it can be static, blade/holder/protector issue as well.
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

James Johnson

Post by James Johnson » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:59 pm

Sounds like the head will need changing...
If you want a Roland Engineer to do this for you, give me a call on 0845 230 90 60.
Also a RolandCare warranty maybe worth looking into... Using our free pre warranty inspection visit, you can save 30% off our RRP parts used to bring the machine back to life and no call out or labour costs.

Good luck!

JJ
James Johnson

New Business Manager
01275 33 55 40
james.johnson@rolanddg.co.uk

chri55

Post by chri55 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:31 pm

Changed the photo link. Hopefully it will work for you to look at now.

Thanks for your help.

mrtn
Gold Member

Post by mrtn » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:56 pm

Yea, that head is done. Also, some missing in yellow. Make sure you have the captops changed as a clogged captop may prevent nozzles from cleaning and it could be permanent.
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

clearpoint
Bronze Member

Post by clearpoint » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:31 pm

Hi,

I have encountered a similar problem with the head test print you have shown, the way we got around this was:

1) Try a power clean, medium clean or a normal clean, if these do not work-

2) Try flushing the ink via the maintenance option, all in your manual, if that does not work-

3) Try replacing you ink cap, felt wiper and also the rubber wiper? This fixed our problem, i did some history work on our machine only to find that it had not been serviced for years and due to this the ink cap had become saturated with ink so when we tried to clean our head with a cleaning, it just made the head worse.

This may sound complicated but to replace the wiper, the instructions are in the manual and to replace the ink cap, i watched a Youtube video on how to do this (ok this was a different model but the same concept).

I used Granthams for the part, it cost us around £100 in total for the ink cap and wipers, put in ourselves and to be honest, it is like a little mini own service on our machine and it now works amazing, nice smooth gradients and halftones.

Hope this helps?

Phil.

mrtn
Gold Member

Post by mrtn » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:28 pm

Usually, when the clogging appears in the same horizontal row of nozzles it's mechanical damage to the head that's causing it. The head has hit media clamps or similar. You may check the head surface with good flashlight and if there are noticeable scratches it's not reversible.
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

Tom-htBat

Post by Tom-htBat » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:44 pm

Hi All

Could anyone recognize this similar head problem on our SP-300v, (please see the picture)
Is that indicates for head replacement? only black colour its out of lines
Thank you
Regards
Tom
Attachments
WP_20181107_21_53_44_Pro.jpg

Kai Perry

Post by Kai Perry » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:14 am

Does look like an issue with the black head, what does the nozzle check show.
Kai Perry
Application Engineer
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

Tom-htBat

Post by Tom-htBat » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:10 am

Hi Kai

Im not sure how to do the nozzle check on this model like on other once, but there is some test prints.
Attachments
WP_20181108_10_00_43_Pro.jpg
WP_20181108_10_01_41_Pro.jpg