BN-20 Issue - Warming up?

Need advice on using your Roland Hardware.
Please note we do not give engineering advice in this group
Ady87

BN-20 Issue - Warming up?

Post by Ady87 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:44 pm

Hello Roland forum. Chose the best category I could.

I have recently purchased a used BN-20 that has error 0110. I have fitted a new official motor and new linear Encoder. All seems happy and correct, however....

It starts it’s self clean following power up and waits for a print job. Upon providing a print job the heater comes on and the head carriage moves to the left hand side and just sits there with the blue light blinking. I have left for over an hour thinking that it’s getting to ambient temperature, but still nothing.

Any advice or guidance? Appreciated in advance.

Geoffhogarth
Bronze Member

Re: BN-20 Issue - Warming up?

Post by Geoffhogarth » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:29 am

Ady87 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:44 pm

I have recently purchased a used BN-20 that has error 0110. I have fitted a new official motor and new linear Encoder. All seems happy and correct, however....

It starts it’s self clean following power up and waits for a print job. Upon providing a print job the heater comes on and the head carriage moves to the left hand side and just sits there with the blue light blinking. I have left for over an hour thinking that it’s getting to ambient temperature, but still nothing.

It sounds like you need to do Linear Calibration, carriage does not know where it is.

Geoffhogarth
Bronze Member

Post by Geoffhogarth » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:41 am

Geoffhogarth wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:29 am
Ady87 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:44 pm

It sounds like you need to do Linear Calibration, carriage does not know where it is.
Strat up the Service Application and select [Print] tab. Then, click [Linear Encoder]>[Set up].

Ady87

Post by Ady87 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:38 pm

Thankyou for the reply Geoff. Will try this and see if it will get it working and post back with the results.

Fingers crossed 🤞

May I ask if that is under Utility application?

Geoffhogarth
Bronze Member

Post by Geoffhogarth » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:36 pm

Ady87 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:38 pm
Thankyou for the reply Geoff. Will try this and see if it will get it working and post back with the results.

Fingers crossed 🤞

May I ask if that is under Utility application?
Sorry I don't know, found it in a service manual clip online.

Ady87

Post by Ady87 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:07 pm

Hello again. No problem, thanks for the input either way. Have checked all driver, utility and Versaworks settings and nothing as described.

I imagine after spending a small fortune on the printer itself, I will now have to get in touch with Roland support as apparently they only have access to the service application mentioned. Such a simple hardware replacement and now have to go through tickets, engineers and additional costs.How people achieve business results with these requirements are some what amazing.

I will be hesitant In buying a Roland again, that’s for sure if after purchasing the machine, I cannot do hardware maintainance myself (out of warranty anyway) without ridiculous labour and repair costs involved. Thanks anyway Geoff. Will get in contact with them now.

I would also expect a reply from a Roland moderator with potential fixes/options before moving forward.

The media width is appearing okay, all connections with utility and VW are spot on. Even after cleaning it returns to the right hand side and waits with the blue light lit. It’s only when doing a nozzle check or print, the head moves to the left side and sits there with the blue light flashing. VS and utility show printing and that is it... no further movement from the head at all.

I have read about a “remote” technician being able to reset linear encoder settings, is this a possibility?