Versa Camm not printing colour...

Need advice on using your Roland Hardware.
Please note we do not give engineering advice in this group
Harry182

Versa Camm not printing colour...

Post by Harry182 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:57 am

ahhhh help me please.

We have a Roland Versa cam 540i and it's not printing colour...

We had some longer runs of printing last night on to sign vinyl.

it started printing lovely. We then sent some big runs of green and yellow and noticed the yellow dropping out...

We cancled the print to check the ink levels...I don't know if it's played a part but I just removed the ink cartridges to give them a shake... the printer was idle so wasn't drawing / circulating ink.

Did the first low clean (forgot the name) and then sent a nozzle test... all the colours were fine except there was a large chunk of yellow missing.. did a powerful clean and got the same results...

I then did a manual clean and noticed lots of yellow gunk in the area that would match where it was missing in the nozzle check...

I know it's advised to not touch the print head but we got a cleaning stick with a bit of Roland's cleaning solution and gently wiped it off (done this before with no problems)

Finished the manual clean and ran a nozzle test... it was blank apart from a few lines of black... did another powerful clean and it was the same...

I've tried circulating the ink and renewing the ink 3 times but nothing's coming through..

I don't know if it's worth noting that nothing's going through in to the waste bottle....

I've also tryed sending a print with just separate lines of cmyk but only a few lines of black print...

Any idea what's happened or where I should be looking?

Thanks for any help in advance :)

Kai Perry

Re: Versa Camm not printing colour...

Post by Kai Perry » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:13 am

The machine may not be capping correctly or the pump may have gone. It is likely that you would need an engineer visit to replace the parts.
Kai Perry
Application Engineer
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

Harry182

Post by Harry182 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:08 pm

Is there any checks we can do to see which one it could be?

Just trying to prepare ourselves :)

mrtn
Gold Member

Post by mrtn » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:42 pm

Sweet Jesus.

NEVER do powerful cleanings. If two medium cleanings won't do it the problem is elsewhere and it's out of your own expertise.

Have you had the machine serviced per schedule? Captops from Digiprintsupplies don't count.
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

Harry182

Post by Harry182 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:55 pm

Thank you guys for the replys

We had this same problem 2/3 months ago... a tech came out and changed the cap top as part of it...

He never really fixed the problem, just got the printer printing. Yellows always been a bit ropey! But now they've all dropped out

Nearest techs are 2 hours away and we haven't had had much luck with them so looking to see if any one has had any experience with this so it could point us in some direction rather then the techs playing an guessing game whilst we're paying for it.

Going in to check the printer now, but apparently my mum says the printer is saying there's no ink cartridges in it...

Will confirm shortly

Harry182

Post by Harry182 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:45 pm

So found one potential problem... this isn't connected.... it looks like it goes under the cap and is used as part of the draining part... I guess this is where we could be losing suction?
Attachments
IMG_4796.JPG

mrtn
Gold Member

Post by mrtn » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:09 pm

Yes. The loose end needs to be connected to the captop. Cut 5 mm off the end and reconnect the tube to the bottom connector of the captop.

What is the red part in the picture?

Good news is that you didn't waste any ink doing the powerful cleanings.
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

Harry182

Post by Harry182 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:18 pm

So the red but is a peice of heat shrink... it was a bodge to get it going until we could get the proper plastic peice that had snapped.

So now we're back to the original problem we had with this one...

All the other colours print spot on but the yellow is just really weak. We can't print a nice solid red or green...

If it's of any use we have a picture of the nozzle check...

Any ideas what this could be?
IMG_4831.JPG

mrtn
Gold Member

Post by mrtn » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:44 pm

Do the missing nozzles relocate between cleanings?
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

Harry182

Post by Harry182 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:13 am

That's about as good as it gets dispite what ever clean we do.

I was having a nose about in the printer, and went to check the dampner... I noticed that whilst all the other colours poured out... the yellow did a really slow drip... so we followed the line back to the choke... checked the yellow ink under the choke compared to the rest of the inks and it was a lot slower to come out of the tube... we then checked above the choke and it was the same as the other colours...

We're going to replace the choke because of this but do you think this could be linked?

The only other thing I've seen is that the printhead could be blocked? The printers used Dailey and this isn't something that has just happened gradually so I'm unsure as to how it would just clog?

Any other thoughts?