BN 20 now dead

Need advice on using your Roland Hardware.
Please note we do not give engineering advice in this group
winktype

BN 20 now dead

Post by winktype » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:40 am

Hello All,
my ageing bn 20 (5 years old) has now simply stopped printing, it has had issues for a while, the nozzle tests have not been good, and the metallic ink has been getting into the black (or vice versa?). I have changed the cap and renewed the wipers, plus have done a full cleanout with cleaning fluid, but nothing has made a difference. I think I may have to consider new print heads, but I'm not in any great rush as my new bn 20 is printing just as superbly as the old one did when new! I tried flooding the cap with fluid overnight with the machine off, but this had no effect, so in the meantime I have kept it 'powered up' and it runs it's cleaning process as usual every few hours. I tried a print run today, but nothing printed and it left large traces of metallic ink on the substrate, which is worrying. A nozzle test proved that no ink was coming through.
I suppose my question is, should I empty the tanks and turn it off pending a decision to have new print heads fitted? I may try to sell it for spares, but am reluctant as it has been so good. Any advice would be appreciated.

Kai Perry

Re: BN 20 now dead

Post by Kai Perry » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:13 am

It sounds more electrical or a pump issue, than just dry up as no nozzles are firing at all.

You could perform a head wash, then you would see if the waste tank volume increases, this would also then be ready for sale should you wish to do that.
Kai Perry
Application Engineer
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

winktype

Re: BN 20 now dead

Post by winktype » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:52 pm

Hello Kai, thanks for the input. I did a head wash, then tried again after a powerful clean, but no print appeared on the substrate and worryingly a pool of metallic ink formed under the machine. The waste tank did increase in volume, but I do not know if any of it was metallic ink? I think it may be time to say goodbye to this one. On another topic, how long can I leave my new machine without using it, bearing in mind it will be powered up at all times, I think I may be away for 3-4 weeks.

Thanks