CX-24 cable conundrum

Need advice on using your Roland Hardware.
Please note we do not give engineering advice in this group
GeraldineO

CX-24 cable conundrum

Post by GeraldineO » Mon May 06, 2013 3:32 am

Dear Roland Forum,
After almost 6 months of angst and agonizing over this cutter cable conundrum, I find myself at your forum hoping for a miracle.
I am an exhibition designer and I also create my own art murals in museums and for commission work utilizing vinyl.

I moved with my Roland CX-24 halfway across the world. The movers who packed every else perfectly, failed to remove the Parallel to USB cable from the vinyl cutter. The Parallel end of the cable was damaged in the move. I assumed a new Parallel to USB cable would do the trick but nothing seems to work this far. I had the moving company send the cutter to the local Roland vendors and it checked out fine with 2 of the new cable options I bought. Here is the kicker. It checks out fine connected to a PC. The advice from the local Roland vendor? Go get a PC because they have no clue and cannot give any advice why the same cables do not work on a Mac.

My set up:
First generation 24 inch iMac running on OS 10.4.11
Software: Flexi 7.5 and its corresponding Production Manager (with the security USB key).
Roland CX-24 Camm-1 (with both a parallel and a serial port).

I have tried downloading software for the parallel to USB cables but the spooled data from Flexi 7.5 goes nowhere.
I finally broke down and even bought a Serial to USB cable. A previous post from a member on this forum suggests that I need yet another component. (A cross-over adaptor piece?).
I get an error message on the vinyl cutter when I try to use the Serial to USB cable as it is now.

Writing to Roland and the Flexiletter Support has not been forthcoming. Ultimately, they cannot give me any advice other than buy a PC. It seems so incredible that I cannot find a way to replace a broken cable and still make my machines talk to each other after they've been happily co-existing for 9 years.

After spend copious hours researching this, I realize that there's just something I'm not understanding about the drivers or how to re-configure the preferences in the iMac to recognize the paths/ports which the new cables are on. Or I'm not getting the right drivers. I'm tenacious and I don't want to give up two perfectly good machines.

I am enclosing also a picture of the original USB cable that was damaged in the move,
photo-28.jpg
Top left hand cable (which is also slightly different from the new current cables) is the damaged piece.
photo-28.jpg (144.76 KiB) Viewed 8365 times
and the other 4 options which I have tried. Top left hand one is the piece that was destroyed in the move.
(My better half was nice enough to get that repaired but all the electrician did was to tape up the wires and glue the cover back together, which has since also fallen apart. Oy Vey).

I am not familiar with the back end structure/language of the operating system. Any advice or step by step walk through will be deeply appreciated. I will happily purchase yet another adaptor or cable if it will make my machines happy again. I will even send you cupcakes.
Thanks so much.

with best regards,
Geraldine

Kai Perry

Re: CX-24 cable conundrum

Post by Kai Perry » Mon May 06, 2013 10:01 am

Hi Geraldine,

The original cable that would have worked, would have been a crossover serial cable.

The Mac would have been able to detect this and FlexiSign would have been able to communicate also.

You should be able to purchase a crossover serial cable from your local Roland dealer.
Kai Perry
Application Engineer
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

GeraldineO

Post by GeraldineO » Mon May 06, 2013 3:39 pm

Hi Kai,
Thank you for your fast response. I appreciate it.

Dealing with the Japanese here is akin to pulling teeth. Anything remotely to do with thinking outside the box sets everyone into a panic.
But I will see if I can get the moving company to communicate this.

I will also contact Roland in the States to see what they have there.

I'm keeping fingers and toes crossed. I know it seems really trivial problem but I have not been able to make use of my machines for the last 6 months.

Thanks again.
- Geraldine

GeraldineO

Post by GeraldineO » Tue May 07, 2013 5:30 am

Hi Kai,
I have this cable at the moment.
photo (1).jpg
photo (1).jpg (114.4 KiB) Viewed 8352 times
When I have it connected, I get this error message from the cutter: Er15:RS-232 Err
Do I still need one more piece to complete this cable set up?

Sorry to be so obtuse. Just really trying to understand what I need to do to get this working again.
Appreciate your help and patience.
- Geraldine

Kai Perry

Post by Kai Perry » Tue May 07, 2013 10:40 am

The cable in the image looks like a port converter with a USB converter attached to it, you would need the crossover serial cable plugged into the CX and the USB converter plugged into that.
Kai Perry
Application Engineer
Roland DG (UK) Ltd

GeraldineO

Post by GeraldineO » Wed May 08, 2013 3:38 am

Hi Kai,
Will this do the trick?
10ft DB25 Male to Female RS232 Serial Null Modem Cable with Interchangeable Mounting
CC338-10_LR.jpg
In addition to what I have now?

OR this: 0ft DB9 Female to DB25 Male HP DB25 Serial Printer Cable
(Also works as a RS232 serial null modem cable.) But then without the port converter piece?
CC314-10_LR.jpg
Many thanks,
Geraldine

Kai Perry

Post by Kai Perry » Wed May 08, 2013 9:03 am

I think the first one should be fine, along with your USB to serial converter.

Just ensure that the port in the menu of the machine is setup correctly, with matching serial communication options.
Kai Perry
Application Engineer
Roland DG (UK) Ltd

GeraldineO

Post by GeraldineO » Wed May 08, 2013 9:16 am

Thank you Kai.
I'll get it ordered and see how it goes. Will post in 2 weeks if it works.
The latter point is what worries me, if there is some glitch along the pathways that I'm not understanding.

Thanks again for the advice. Much appreciated.
- Geraldine

Kai Perry

Post by Kai Perry » Wed May 08, 2013 10:23 am

The port settings should be as follows -

Bits per second - 9600

Data Bits - 8

Parity - Even

Stop Bits - 2

Flow Control - None
Kai Perry
Application Engineer
Roland DG (UK) Ltd

GeraldineO

Post by GeraldineO » Wed May 08, 2013 10:52 am

Hi Kai,
You are a gem.

I do believe those are the default port settings in the Production Manager set up.
I'm keeping whiskers and paws crossed that the new cross over cables will work.
- Geraldine