iModela - still going strong.!!

Post questions, share ideas and techniques relating to the iModela
LIBERTY_UK

iModela - still going strong.!!

Post by LIBERTY_UK » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:48 pm

When I bought my first iModela I must admit I was a bit sceptical as to how it would perform, its level of accuracy and most important of all, how long it would actually last. I have bigger Roland machines, but this was a whole new excursion. Its small footprint and the way it opened right up to access the cutters and the work-piece really appealed though. My thought at the time was if it creates twenty decent selling pieces then it may pay for itself.

I have to admit that the little iModela has exceeded all expectations, not only is it still going, but it has produced a considerable number of items, with great accuracy and it still running on the original motor that is now showing close to 300 hours of use. Used almost exclusively for rings I just fix the wax into place, set the cutter and leave it to do its own thing.

I know that the cheap 3D resin printers that are about now, would have crucified the sales of this little machine, but with wax, you get a smooth finish with minimal post processing work, no pungent odours and no cleaning down the workpiece with chemicals. I bought a total of three of these machines including a genuine Delcam modified machine with precision rotary axis and flip fixture, that was ex-demo that had just a few hours on it. I also bought quite a few spares whilst they were available, including leadscrews, motors, bearings etc. Fortunately none of those spares have been needed.

These little machines take much longer than our bigger Roland machines to create an item, but that is not an issue as once setup correctly the only intervention is to change from a rough cutter to a fine detail cutter. The iModela had a short production life, but it is a massively underestimated machine and well worth grabbing if you see one for sale.
iMod2.jpg
iMod3.jpg
iMod1.jpg

Joe Wigzell
Gold Member

Re: iModela - still going strong.!!

Post by Joe Wigzell » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:15 am

Thanks for sharing! Nice to see that the little guy is still going strong! :P
Joe Wigzell
Academy and Creative Centre Manager
Roland DG UK Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk