New here

Post questions, share ideas and techniques relating to the iModela
fingerpuk
Silver Member

New here

Post by fingerpuk » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:00 am

Hello.

I said hello in the main hello bit but as I'm specifically an iModela interested person, thought I'd repeat here.

I saw the iModela for the first time last night at the Design Museum, I've been interested in buying a 3D printer for a long time since I did some consultancy work for various 3D printing services (I've been a 3D modeller for the VFX industry for 17 years) but I cannot justify the cost for the resolution they give. Not until they are sub £1,500 for high res anyway.

So I saw the iModela and got excited. I was happy to work in 2D and then saw it did the third axis and my mind is blow. So I have questions :)

I have seen various blogs and threads in Japanese were people are creating amazing models, can anyone confirm these can be rated in the iModela?

http://www.kotaku.jp/gallery/120729-1-DSC_5776.html
http://ienaga.blog66.fc2.com/blog-entry-356.html
http://www.shade13.jp/resoueces/3d-prin ... 489/8.html

Can you cut lyno so you can then do litho prints?

What about wooden veneer, mahogany, oak?

How do you handle undercuts?

If I uploaded images of the kid of thing I wanted to create, could anyone tell me yes or 'you're having a laugh' ;)

Anyone got one working in London?

If I think of more I'll be back :)

chevy6600
Silver Member

Re: New here

Post by chevy6600 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:39 pm

Hi fingerpuk i can confirm that i would not of read this post if you had only posted it in the `HELLO` section, as i only concentrate reading the `IMODELA` section.
I had to smile when you said " I saw the iModela for the first time last night at the Design Museum " i guess the imodela is old enough to be put in a museum now then. :lol:
The links you gave do show the kinds of things the imodela can do but the person that did those is also obviously very talented with a knowledge on mold design/making. The imodela was designed to cut soft materials, foam, wood, polystyrene, plastics, wax. The software that comes with the imodela, i find, is wanting in many areas, as you may of read my concerns in my other posts. appart from the `imodela player 4` cam software shown in the links all the other software shown is 3rd party design software that does not come with the imodela. I am guessing that you have cad / 3D design software already so you have already solved the largest hurdle and your knowledge in 3D design software will come in handy transferring your design into the imodela `imodela player 4` cam software due to the file format requirements that can upset the boat. The `imodela player 4` cam software is also limited to just a few methods of making machine paths of which will take many hours to machine but it can be used to enable machining on both sides or 4 sides of your proposed object but it will require some ingenuity on your behalf on how to go about it. It appears that the next best bet on a cam software seems to be HSMEXPRESS as has recently posted by Patrick Thorn, i have had a quick look at it and it does seem to be very good but as i understand is setup to use the solidworks and autodesk inventor cad software, it has only support for 2D and 2.5D machining as free software but full 3D will need to be paid for and i have no idea how much, so if anyone knows how much the HSMWORKS cam software is i would like to know as it is not given anywhere in the web pages...i`m guessing that it will be out of my price range if they do not advertise it :( .
It seems that some people think that the imodela is like the `star Trek` `replicator` , that you instruct what you want and out pops a product :roll: , the imodela is just a machine tool and to produce a product will require many additional steps that some people cannot or do not wish to be bothered with, take note of the other steps that the japanese person had done to accomplish the finished model, in the links you gave.
To get an idea of what materials can be cut try to imagine what effect the cutter attached to say a `dremel` type of hand tool would leave ie. does it leave a fray or just melt the material, does it shatter the edges, does it just bung up the cutter etc. You are pretty much limited to use small milling cutters with 2 or 4 flutes or using burrs that have many flutes and i have found that for plastics a 2 flute has worked best for me. I`m guessing a burr will not work well with lyno, i would start trying with a single edged cutter first. give some thought to how to hold the material down, will it get damaged if pulled from sticky tape :?:
To answer your question on undercuts the simplist answer is `you can not` you will have to redesign undercuts out. But if you have the inclination you can get more adventurous and use indexing attachments to enable you to get to those undercuts from a different cutting angle.

I am willing to have a look at any proposed designs and give my opinion on if it is any use to you.

fingerpuk
Silver Member

Post by fingerpuk » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:45 pm

Thanks chevy :)

Picture at the bottom of the thread. All the pipe work I'd build form brass pipes so it's the engine block and cylinders, and I know I'd mill in parts, it's built in may parts :)

I was looking again in detail at 3D printers, I can't justify the cost for the Makerbot style, the output is really pretty poor. So I'll wait for Form Labs 2 or somebody to copy it :) Until then I'm thinking a 3 axis CNC will do me fine, either the iModela or a second hand more powerful model, but I have such limited knowledge I dont know where to start. So I'll probably hunt down an iModela.

I'm looking to build small wooden toys for my son (with appropriate care to not allow parts to be swallowed of course) and generally just experiment. I have many ideas for a 3D printer, and in a way think a mill will be much more of a challenge. Overhands are important for me so I'll have to be very clever in my planning.

If anyone has one in London, or if anyone is willing to mill out something for me (I'll pay) I'd love to see what the machine can do.

Cheers.

chevy6600
Silver Member

Post by chevy6600 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:14 pm

Hi fingerpuk that is some complicated model to make for any kind of cnc machine to do. If you break down the model into enough individual parts and as long as the largest part is small enough to fit onto the imodela table i think, in theory it may be possible with some imaginative assembly done by yourself. It is going to take an awful long time...read as `many days`!...to do, so if it was me i would try to machine similar parts together in one go as you have seen in the japanese link you gave of the `spindles` and different hands cut out of one block. You are going to need to sort out some kind 4th axis / indexing attachment method to be able to machine both sides of parts.
I do not know if you have seen my youtube video of machining out a head in wood if not here is the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sxpn3TVOLDk just remember that the height from the table to the spindle has been doubled by my modifications but machining a head half the size could be done without having my ally 4th axis mods but instead rigging up your material to enable machining on 4 sides that the imodela software can cater for. Some of the jobs i can see will only require 2 sides, top and bottom. I see that your model shows curves that are not true curves but the curves are made from many straight lines, any cnc machine will not make these into smooth curves, so to get smooth curves you will have to increase the quantity quality of the software model to an acceptable level, what you see is what you will get, is this a problem?
to give you some idea of the kind of data my head was made from you can see here the software data i used.
To give you some idea on the kind of `4th axis/flip device/index attachment `whatever you want to call it, take a look at my post ` make the imodela make it's own 4th axis attachment ` this is the kind of thing that would work with a standard imodela.
I`m about to go on holiday in the next day or two so i am not likely to respond to any posts for a week or two but i will look back here if i can get onto the internet some where.
Attachments
head wire frame.jpg
head solid model.jpg

fingerpuk
Silver Member

Post by fingerpuk » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:08 am

Thanks once again, have a good holiday :)

The model in that image is in various states of tessellation, before outputting it would be frozen and much higher res. This model had to work for many uses so had to be built for game engines up, hence the various poly counts.

I did see and downloaded the PDF for the 4th axis. It looks great, and I'm excited to get going. I'm doing research on where I can get tools (they are so expensive in the UK) and materials. Having to work out how to mill this is part of the fun for me. I'm really looking forward to trying stuff out.

I'm interested in what material gives the cleanest finish. I really need to find a garden shed and get working :)