CAD or No CAD?

Post questions, share ideas and techniques relating to the iModela
fingerpuk
Silver Member

CAD or No CAD?

Post by fingerpuk » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:39 am

Wasnt sure how to title tis.

Wondering if the iModela will output better quality from a NURBS based file than a poly based file? Before I start modelling I wonder if I should hit Rhino or Modo. NURBS vs high resolution polys.

chevy6600
Silver Member

Re: CAD or No CAD?

Post by chevy6600 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:42 pm

Hi fingerpuk, how is your research into the imodela getting on ?, as you can see i have managed to get an Internet signal (for the time being any way). I don`t think there is a straight answer to your question, i have often given some thought to which is best nurbs v poly myself, i found the answer started to get more complex after looking at the sequence of events from design to final machining, first of all the imodela software (modela player 4) only accepts a few formats, igs,stl,dxf as well as rolands own, so seeing that igs may be the one to use as a test format i generated a nurbs igs file then input this into the modela player 4 (rolands cam program) but it appears that it changes the file into a 4 sided poly format any way.
Another way getting a file into the imodela machine is to use a 3rd party CAM programs and if i am right (my belief only) you need a mega bucks £££££ program to be able to use a nurbs file, the cheaper CAM progs appear to use the poly files. If you use a 3rd party CAM prog the file gets changed to NC code that the imodela program `imodela control` which is used to control the machine operations, now this NC code is a standard set that cnc machines use but it does tend to differ depending on various manufacturers, the imodela does not use the full set of codes available notably the more complex operations are not included (this is after all a machine for the beginner) and i have not yet made a conclusion myself yet that the codes left give me the ultimate smooth cutting paths. So the question is does the CAM software that you use generate the required NC codes to generate the smoother curved paths?. Then, does the `imodela control program recognise the codes (the imodela ignors code that is not recognised).
I don`t think the imodela has been used by anyone sufficiently enough to a degree to recognise/ measure the accuracy of the imodela yet, so far i have only come across work that i would classify as artistic.
It may be the case that the question we ask may be not that important after reading this article.

http://www.mmsonline.com/articles/under ... erpolation

any body else wanting to add anything to this would be most welcome.

fingerpuk
Silver Member

Re: CAD or No CAD?

Post by fingerpuk » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:10 am

Hello chevy, hope the time away is nice.

Yes, the research carries on. I was about to buy a Formlabs Form 1 but realistically that wont be with me for 6 months if I order today, and they are having a few teething problems so I decided to hold off until that is all sorted. Plus I discovered from handling a piece cut with the iModela that if you use a tiny tool and are prepared to wait it outputs higher quality parts.

So really NURBS are converted to spans anyway, in that case I might as well stick with polys and see what I'm getting on screen.

The first project I'll be building is your 4 axis mod in acrylic, then I'll be testing out how to do two sided milling. Looking for cheaper tools that the ones on the techsoft site, I know they exists :) I may look to getting a 3mm mod as those tools are easier to come by. Looking forward to re-engineering some of my models to work with the iModela.

Speak when you get back :) Take care.