smaller ball cutters

Post questions, share ideas and techniques relating to the iModela
ED KLINE

smaller ball cutters

Post by ED KLINE » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:02 am

Hello. Does anyone know how to enter into Modela's tool library smaller cutters? I need to use ball end cutters with a blade width of 0.015, or: 0.400mm. I want to use the Modela to cut out detailed figure heads and hands. Thanks for any help you can offer. Ed.

chevy6600
Silver Member

Re: smaller ball cutters

Post by chevy6600 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:48 pm

Hi ed, how you getting on :?: . Maybe it is just me but i find the tool setup in modela4 not very intuitive. You can make up a tool but first you have to get it `registered` so do the following:

1) first go to the menu tree to `options` then `add/remove tool` .
2) in the window that comes up select `new` and a tool called `new tool -1` appears in the list.
modela1.jpg
3) On the right hand side change the name and other parameters as needed, the `new tool -1` changes to you renamed version.
modela2.jpg
Note that the area called `materials with set cutting parameters:` is blank this is because the tool you have made up although now in the list of tools also needs to be registered before it appears in the rest of the software.
4) select `cutting parameters` at the bottom of this same window which opens another window.
5) select a material that best meets your needs and select the `set parameters` button.
modela3.jpg
the tool settings should get filled in by the data from the internal material library (which can also be changed).
modela4.jpg
6) select the `register` button or change the settings as required then select the `register` button....Note that at this stage you have the opportunity to `import` data from another material by selecting the `import settings` but we will not use this this time.
7) You should by now of registered your new tool so select `close` window. Then select `ok` on the previous window.
8) Now this is where you can get misled because if you do not select the EXACT same material in the top right corner as the tool you have registered with, the tool will not appear any where else.
modela5.jpg
Note that if you want to use the tool with different materials you will need to register the same tool, setup with the different materials, as you have just done or the tool will not appear for that material.
9) Select `new process` and a window opens , select the `next` button. The window should change and you should see your tool with the chosen settings pre filled in. If this is not your made-up tool you have gone wrong somewhere.
modela6.jpg
10) You can expand the available `tools` button to see if your tool is listed and or choose any other that has been registered with THIS material.
11) Carry on with setting up your machining operations, your all done.

ED KLINE

Post by ED KLINE » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:55 pm

I don't know if you got my earlier reply, as I didn't see it posted. But this tutorial is awesome! Thank you so much for going to the trouble. I am a retired proto-type machinist, so if I can help you in some way let me know. (I can't do anything larger than you can fit in a pocket unfortunately. Think Modela size.) Ed.

chevy6600
Silver Member

Post by chevy6600 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:39 pm

Hi Ed, Thanks for the comments. I have not seen any other posts other than the ones that are about now, guess it got lost in the big wide web :D . You caught me at a good time with your question, when i started i did not think i would end up doing such a large post but one thing led to another :) and before long i was well into it. After i had done it i thought wether i had gone a bit over the top or not, when posting you never know if your telling some one something they already know or not, so i`m glad that i have been of some help it makes it all the more worth while.
Sounds as though you use to have an interesting job, quess your imodela is a way of keeping your old skills tuned then :D. I`m looking forward to seeing some work with your imodela.

AlanR

Post by AlanR » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:44 am

Hello Chevy, Many thanks for laying out the 'way to do it so well', (and thanks Ed for posting the question), as it was going ask the same thing within the next few weeks, also found the use of the 'Tepe' brushes very interesting and have some on order.
Have not been working with the iModella for quite a while as have been busy finishing off my Model Ship project. ready for a meeting later in the year in Germany, once finished ( within next couple of months) will be doing a lot of tests as I have been asked to give a talk on the iModela at the meeting, and want to try out various small cutters (so need to add them to the list0 to get the best finish quality possible, will post results in due course.

All the best,

Alan

chevy6600
Silver Member

Post by chevy6600 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:40 pm

Hi alanr, good to see your back, i thought you had given up with the imodela, if your giving a talk on it i guess you must still have faith in it. It would be really good if you could show us some of your work it helps keep all of use inspired.

AlanR

Post by AlanR » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:22 pm

Hi Chevy,
Simply not had time to use it, as been busy on other projects including building a new version of my website, but in a few weeks time intend to do a lot of testing as will be using it a lot on my next model build, have been stocking up on tooling & material.
Once I start testing will post some results.

Alan

Patrick Thorn
Gold Member

Post by Patrick Thorn » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:27 pm

Some links are here on the forum.
If you find a good supplier that you think other will find useful, please add them to this topic.
Patrick Thorn
Premier Consultant - 3D Technology
Roland DG UK Ltd

http://www.rolanddg.co.uk