Joe's 3 C's (#39) 'From Keyboards to Wallpapers'

Forum favourites and blog-like posts to inspire, offer advice and get your creative juices flowing
Joe Wigzell
Gold Member

Joe's 3 C's (#39) 'From Keyboards to Wallpapers'

Post by Joe Wigzell » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:53 pm

Hi hey hello,

Welcome to another of 'Joe's 3 C's' :D

In these posts I will try to bring you something Creative, Something Cool and something Commercial.
The format for these 3 things will vary, from images, videos and websites to unique applications, tips tricks and tutorials. Mostly print or 3D related but some things may be thrown in just because they ought to be shared (probably in the Cool part)!
There will be some terrible jokes thrown in at the end too!

Being a bit of a geek for all things design related, hopefully I'll be able to find some interesting bits and bobs to share with you!

Quote of the Day (an graphic quote this week!):
quote.jpg
Something Creative...

Yesterday I printed a desk setup including a mouse, mouse-pad and a custom design onto a keyboard (computer not music) using the VersaUV LEF-20.
The keyboard was a little tricky but I just wanted to show off another of the Creative possibilities the machine offers. The hard part was alignment and the fact that a keyboard has a curve to allow for more ergonomic use. If you had a flat keyboard or a vector design available for your keyboard it would have been a lot easier. I took a scan of the keyboard and then manually created the design in Adobe Illustrator.

Here are a couple of shots of the outcome:
1.jpg
2.jpg
6.jpg
Not very practicle with the design that I used-unless you know your key locations well enough not to have to look! But you could customise around the letters and numbers etc. or perhaps add a design faintly over the whole lot?

Something Cool...

Change the Perspective

Italian graphic designers Benedetto Papi and Edoardo Santamato of Invasione Creativa have created Change the Perspective, a conceptual series of business card designs that imagine the real world jobs that famous characters from movies and TV shows would have.

Here are a few examples, and you can view the rest of the series on Behance
1.png
2.png
3.png
Something Commercial...

Printing wall graphics and wallpapers is becoming more and more popular, and media manufacturers have jumped onto this trend, improving their ranges and offering a wider variety of options.
As this article from Despoke shows, the trend has hit the Milan Design Week with some really strong visuals!
wallpapers.jpg
That's all for this week from Joe's 3 C's!

Thank you for reading :geek:

I will be taking some leave time due to an operation on my knee as of tomorrow, so the next 3 C's will most likely be posted from my home with my leg up!

Until then, cheerio...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joe's chuckles... :lol:

I was cooking a barbecue in my garden naked last night, when suddenly my neighbour poked his head over the fence and said, "Joe, can you put some pants on?"

"No problem." I replied, I know he's a vegetarian but that's just weird.

-----------------------
legogh.jpg
Joe Wigzell
Academy and Creative Centre Manager
Roland DG UK Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

anandmm

Re: Joe's 3 C's (#39) 'From Keyboards to Wallpapers'

Post by anandmm » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:19 pm

Hi Joe

It is really cool concept.
Have you printed key tops separately and Bottom design separately ?
My experience says the White Roland Lettering with Height adjusted for Keytop would not be that Sharp! ( There is a height diff of min 7 mm is my guess )
White Color is really super white on Keytops and there is not a single color spot spilling on angled key tops edges !
YES YOU HAVE MANAGED IT REALLY VERY WELL
GREAT!!

anand

Joe Wigzell
Gold Member

Post by Joe Wigzell » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:48 pm

Hi Anand!

Thank you for your reply :D

Yes I took out all of the keys to do the main base of the keyboard and then put the keys back in to do them in another process.
I was impressed with the alignment considering the way it was designed and without a jig etc.

Doing it with vinyl stickers may have been a quicker/easier option but I wanted to see if it was possible and how it would look!

Good to hear from you, I hope all is well?

Looking forward to receiving your prints :)
I think Dave is coming to visit you again in May, he will be in touch shortly to discuss.

All the best
Joe Wigzell
Roland DG UK Ltd

Anjana

Post by Anjana » Sat May 10, 2014 6:20 pm

Hi,

We have just bought a roland machine and want to print a wallpaper. Is it possible to print and cut it on roland ( I have a print and cut machine). If so, how is that possible? Or would i need a separate cutter?

Regards
Anjana

Joe Wigzell
Gold Member

Post by Joe Wigzell » Thu May 15, 2014 12:24 pm

Hi Anjana,

You wouldn't normally cut a wallpaper on your device, this would be a post-printing finishing that you would do after. Your print and cut Roland is not designed to cut horizontal and vertical full depth cuts around your artwork, this would normally be done by hand or with a guillotine, or maybe a separate cutting machine like a FOTOBA. Unless you want to print and cut contour shapes into an adhesive wallpaper, this could be possible using the perfcut feature or just a normal contour cut.

Hope that helps?
Joe Wigzell
Roland DG UK Ltd