Roland GX-500 servicing advice

Ask any questions you have before you make a decision
b15_uun

Roland GX-500 servicing advice

Post by b15_uun » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:54 am

Hi All,
Hope this is ok to post here, I have a Roland GX-500 which I find to be a great machine (had a cheap chinese plotter before which served a purpose but if I knew the difference Id have bought a Roland from day 1). I have recently replaced the cutting strip and keep an eye on the blades regular. I noticed it could do with a clean up and possibly regrease in places like the runners for the Blade carriage but dont want to mess about with it as I wouldnt really know where to start and dont want to ruin a good machine. I would have liked to have it done by roland but the prices I was quoted seemed a bit steep and have to take out an extended warranty but the machine would have to be checked first etc which just works out too much for me as I use it from home as I am just a novice user.
Just hoping someone could recommend someone that could give it a service as dont want anyone else that doesnt know what there doing playing around with it :lol: preferrably someone in the bristol / bath area
Thanks

mrtn
Gold Member

Re: Roland GX-500 servicing advice

Post by mrtn » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:31 am

You don’t need to grease any rails, especially the ones with plastic wheels. Just keep them clean and you’re good.

When replacing the cutting stip make sure to remove all old glue residue first.

Blade holder maintenance is also easy but needs to be done. Every time you get a new blade, remove the depth regulator nose, blow the dust out of it, also pick the dust from the bottom bearing with a finger (just touching will do as long as no dust enters the blade hole, all loose dust will stick to your skin). Then dip the new blade’s cone tip in lithium grease (actually any bearing grease will do) by 1 mm only, not more. Then insert the blade so the grease remains on the tip. This will keep the top bearing healthy for a long time.

Avoid WD-40 at all costs. It’s a terrible lubricant.
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

b15_uun

Post by b15_uun » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:35 pm

Hi mrtn,
The rails are what started to concern me as they are quite dirty / dusty but when I went to clean the top one it seems to be greased under the dust which I thought was odd but as I said I'm unsure so didn't want to clean it off and cause issues.
I managed to do the cutting strip with no issues as with most things preperation is key.
Appreciate all the advice especially on the rails and the blade holder with the grease as was thinking of replacing it soon.
I find wd40 better for cleaning stuff would never use it as a lubricant but good advice as a lot of people don't realise that.
Was also unsure if the workings and bearings for the main roller need changing or servicing and if the cable that moves the blade carriage needs maintenance (reminds me of an electric window regulator on a car which are known for failing)
Thank you

PhillyDee
Silver Member

Post by PhillyDee » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:56 pm

WD-40 and AC90 its better twin (different companies - similar product) are excellent at cleaning everything from sticky residues, to oily machines, greased up machines etc. We used to use them on large machining centres for cleaning cast iron and oil residues off tables etc. As said, terrible lubricant but great for also freeing seized parts as its very thin.
Roland BN-20 (CMYKWh)
Roland Versa UV LEF-20 (CMYK Pr Wh)
HPC Laser - LS6840PRO 60W Laser cutter/engraver
HPC Laser - LS1290PRO 80W Laser cutter/engraver x3
HPC Laser - LS6090PRO 80W Laser cutter/engraver x2
Trotec Speedy 300 120W with JC Vision Camera system and rotary axis.

b15_uun

Post by b15_uun » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:21 am

Hi PhillyDee (also thanks for the welcome message)
Cant say Ive tried AC90 but GT85 with ptfe is another good one. Also really surprised at what isopropyl alcohol shifts great stuff.
Thats an impressive list of machines your running, how do you find the Roland BN20 ? Keep wanting to invest in a printer but would be a big investment for me and the more I read about problems people have with them the more it puts me off, especially seen as the printhead alone for a BN20 looks to be £1500 plus. Keep looking at those and VS300v or SP300v.

mrtn
Gold Member

Post by mrtn » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:54 am

BN-20 is slow. Really slow compared to SP/VP/VS etc but it's good for what it's made for.

I have just 100% restored one which was bought 5 years ago and only used for a day. It's now got new head, capping station, tubing, etc. So it's virtually brand new apart from missing warranty.
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

b15_uun

Post by b15_uun » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:03 am

Which model is it mrtn? Did you do all that work to it yourself? what are they like to work on?

mrtn
Gold Member

Post by mrtn » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:29 pm

It’s a BN-20, they only come in one configuration. Actually most of the work on this particular unit was done by my colleague who is also present in this forum as Ragnarök. We’re both Roland service engineers so for us it’s not too bad to work on, but more work compared to bigger machines where there’s more room and less unscrewing to do. We only did the refurb work for reselling the machine.
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

PhillyDee
Silver Member

Post by PhillyDee » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:56 pm

The BN-20 was an impulse purchase as my business is supplying crafters and blanks from Acrylic. the BN-20 is woefully underused as I just have been so busy since it was purchased. It was always meant to test the waters (it was second hand but came with a brand new print head installed from Roland UK!) before looking at a more serious machine.

Yeah, Lasers are great fun :D. The trotecs are just the best of the bunch really, but hard to justify when just cutting making blanks.... It has its place, as do the printers. When it comes to engraving: speed, 3550mm/s compared to 400 on the HPCs is just not even comparable.
Roland BN-20 (CMYKWh)
Roland Versa UV LEF-20 (CMYK Pr Wh)
HPC Laser - LS6840PRO 60W Laser cutter/engraver
HPC Laser - LS1290PRO 80W Laser cutter/engraver x3
HPC Laser - LS6090PRO 80W Laser cutter/engraver x2
Trotec Speedy 300 120W with JC Vision Camera system and rotary axis.

b15_uun

Post by b15_uun » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:43 pm

Ive been leaning more towards a sp300v or sp300i (cant see much difference between them apart from the sp300i is the newer model if im not mistaken?
Like the look of cnc, laser and 3d printers but think i need to walk before I can run as anything I have learnt how to do I have learnt from research online and trial and error ;)